🔎

A question about a recipe: Apple, Pear and Cranberry Crisp

Can I use dried cranberries in place of fresh? And, if so, should I cut down on the amount?

5163021825_e281398fcd_b
400584_2795982053875_1473082837_n_(1)
Chefbaltz added over 2 years ago

absolutely! you will want to rehydrate them in some boiling water and drain them thoroughly. this will plump them back up but also take out some of the sugar. i'm not sure what amount of sugar your recipe calls for but dried cranberries are highly sweetened and you may need to cut back the amount by a couple of tablespoons to 1/4 cup, even though the boiling water will leech out some of their added sugar. try it with less sugar and add more if needed.

Bio
theyearinfood added over 2 years ago

Hi! Yes, absolutely use dried cranberries. I know that other people have used dried cranberries in place of fresh when fresh aren't available. I don't think that boiling them beforehand is necessary. Yeah, you should probably cut down on the amount, and use a little less sugar, too. Good luck! Hope it's a success.