Taco and homemade salsa suggestions/recipes beyond typical ground beef run of the mill? Want to wow our company of six this weekend. I'm ope

asked by tgrllyct over 2 years ago

My mom made tacos with canned corn beef.
I don't recall the brand but I now use the brand Herford.
I get it from Costco but I think I've seen Herford at regular grocery stores.

2007-09-11e-s4

Do fish tacos. Easy to do and unless they are from California, not generaly available at your corner Taco Bell.
As for the salsa:
1/2 pound salad shrimp
2 Roma tomatoes
1 jalapeño, minced
1/2 red onion, minced
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 avocados, diced
(Actually, this is more of a ceviche, but does really well as a condoment or chip dip)
Good luck!

Fish Taco's are great (unless you don't want to fry to order, I suppose they will hold for a bit in a low oven.) I fry them in a beer batter, using equal parts of flour and beef and a good pinch of salt. You can do shrimp ones this way too. The salsa sounds great. I like the idea if just scooping that with chips.

I usually marinate the fish briefly and grill up (not worrying if it breaks up a little) vs. frying with the breading. The fresh fish and crunch of the cabbage type topping, little lime zest cream and it will change taco night forever.

Perhaps for the tacos try some ground lamb cooked with onions and some cinnamon, herbs, salt and pepper and topped with roasted red peppers... obviously feel free to keep adding/amending but I am a big fan of ground lamb/peppers combo, and it's definitely a different take on tacos!

I wonder if some- but not too much as I find the flavor a bit intense- chopped sauteed fennel to pair with the roasted red peppers and lamb in the tacos would be a good match

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

Short rib tacos are different and delicious. Try combining some of the elements of salsa with chimichurri - yum.

313209_2493694741674_1231978067_33008415_1220700979_n

Pork carnitas with salsa verde... Here's my favorite recipe:

http://www.100daysofrealfood...

Very easy and delicious!

My husband and I are very picky about our fish tacos and the grilled swordfish tacos on epicurious are the BEST I have ever eaten at home or in a restaurant. We also like fruit salsa with them.

Twittah

The genius recipe for Diana Kennedy's carnitas on this website makes outstanding (and definitely impressive) tacos. It's a little time consuming but requires minimal work!
http://www.food52.com/blog...

You can't go wrong with Nogales Steak Tacos from "The Complete Meat" by Bruce Aidells. You can make them with NY steak, flank steak or even top sirloin. Don't use 'london broil' labeled meat, you want tender steak. You serve them in a corn tortilla heated with cheese and strip of roasted pepper (calls for roasting your own pasilla, but feel free to use canned whole Ortega chiles.) The condiment is lime pickled onions. These tacos are famous. They don't need salsa. Serve salsa and chips on the side.
http://www.globalgourmet...

Bigpan

Try a turkey taco with mole sauce instead of salsa !

My personal favorite: sautee Mexican chorizo with some dice onions and peppers (red and poblano). Finish the tacos with sliced radishes, chipotle crema , cilantro, and tomatillo salsa.

You guys totally ROCK! Thanks so much for the suggestions - I'll read all comments carefully before making a decision! :)

I made the Barbacoa beef cheek taco with pickled onions for some very sophisticated French friends. They were eating with their fingers...which is saying something for the French. I couldn't get beef cheeks in time, but any beef stew meat works. It is a really easy recipe - you can even make it a day ahead. Serve it with homemade guacamole and salsa and your guests will be thrilled.
(sorry I cannot link on my iPad but this was a contest winner so you should find it)