🔎

I just recently bough a jar of molasses, and I'm excited to make really chewy crackled molasses cookies, but I was wondering what else molasses can be used for and does it react the same way as honey when baking or cooking with it?

Cakecake
campagnes added over 3 years ago

I'm not a huge molasses fan, so I don't know much about its properties, but I just read a recipe yesterday for cranberry upside down cake.. molasses allegedly plays nicely with cranberries (I'll take her word for it):

http://smittenkitchen.com...

Si
SweetTea added over 3 years ago

Treacle... yum.... I swap honey and molasses frequently, although I find molasses a bit sweeter. I make all sorts of goodness with it, like, gingerbread, baked beans, rye bread, treacle tart with clotted cream, and treacle scones. I've read blackstrap molasses is suppose to have all sorts of health benefits but I've never used it as such.

Image

Molasses is great! It's wonderful in gingerbread and bran muffins, and adds a bottom note to some savory dishes. Blackstrap molasses contains the most vitamins and minerals. It does react the same as honey in baking--makes things chewier and softer, and it seems to enhance warm spices such as cinnamon and ginger.

Image

Also, if you put the word molasses in the recipe search on this site, 85 recipes come up. That should give you some ideas!

Soozll added over 3 years ago

It's an ingredient in Anadama Bread, Boston Brown Bread, Boston Baked Beans. You can swirl a little on oatmeal. I'm with you on the Molassas Crinkle cookies, It's worth keeping a bottle just for that!

Yes, baked beans of course. And definitely a multiplicity of baking uses.

gigiaxline added over 3 years ago

I also make a beef stew that calls for a tablespoon or two of molasses - it cuts the acidity of the tomato paste/tomato products in the recipe.

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm
beyondcelery added over 3 years ago

My favorite places for molasses: the cake variety of gingerbread, chili, cornbread, banana bread, and moist dark chocolate cake. For the chocolate cake, just 1Tbls makes it extra moist and adds to the dark rich flavors. Molasses has the added benefit of being acidic enough to kickstart a baking soda reaction, which is responsible for raising most quick breads. This makes it invaluable to people like me who can't use dairy (no buttermilk!) and have to come up with alternatives.

036

I use blackstrap in my BBQ sauce - it's almost a condiment soup :-) ketchup, mustard, molasses, a little liquid smoke, chili powder, cumin, Louisiana hot sauce, sometimes some beer - I add / taste / add / taste and I really love that dark almost bittersweet edge that molasses adds ...

innoabrd added over 3 years ago

Molasses is totally necessary for gingerbread men (and women)!

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_
Mr_Vittles added over 3 years ago

You can use molasses to make your own brown sugar, ginger bread, and if you really like the taste try some in your oatmeal in the morning.

happycao added over 3 years ago

thank you all! I'm intrigued in using it in bread, like Andama bread and in savory dishes, I was worried in the baking process it wouldn't react the same way, but I'll give it a go!

Kay_at_lake
Kayb added over 3 years ago

You can use molasses for any recipe that calls for honey or brown sugar or heavy corn syrup -- just be aware the flavor profile will change, often quite dramatically, depending on the kind of molasses you're using. If you are fortunate enough to be able to acquire pure sorghum molasses with no additives at all, there is no better treat than a hot biscuit smeared with a mixture of cold unsalted butter blended with an equal portion of sorghum molasses....