Can I adapt food illustrated's vodka tart crust with more sugar?

I want to make Dorie Greenspan's pear tart with Sweet crust. It contains 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Any reason I cannot sub vodka for som of the water?

asked by lloreen over 2 years ago
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

I say go for it

N815475290_4808168_5317

lloreen, I am assuming the link below is the recipe you are using. you probably can't sub vodka for water because the recipe has no water in it to begin with. She uses an egg yolk as the binder in that recipe. Granted, she also offers a way to do it as a "press in" crust for your tart tin/dish, which would take the worry out of the crust tearing while being rolled out. My advice would be to take the press in approach.

i saw that vodka pie crust in america's test kitchen/cook's illustrated and while i think its a great idea, if we are talking about the same recipe its not something you need to worry about with dorie's crust.

hope this was helpful in some way.

http://doriegreenspan.com...

Thanks!! Somehow I didn't see that Dorie's crust has no water!

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Same here -- thanks for the clarification java&foam.

N815475290_4808168_5317

no problem! i was surprised there was no water myself and thought i had the wrong recipe for a good 5 minutes. sometimes when I'm about to make something and skip over parts of a recipe too in excitement. the recipe does look fantastic though...thanks for inadvertently bringing it to my attention...now i have something to do with all that fruit i got from Harry & David!

I was so skeptical of tart dough without water but so far this recipe is really easy to work with. I did the press in version for the first time.m I am waiting with fingers crossed for the tart to emerge from the oven!

Chris_in_oslo

I have not made Dorie Greenspan's tart dough, but I've given the Cooks Illustrated vodka addition some thought, and it seems to me that whenever I had a dough that wasn't quite coming together, a splash of vodka might beat a splash of water.

Lorigoldsby

My friend did a pie crust test before Thanksgiving...she gave rave reviews to the vodka crust...said it rolled out beautifully!