🔔
🔎

When a recipe calls for "10 cups of fresh spinach"... does that mean packed?

asked by Guacamole Girl almost 4 years ago
1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

Yes. It should mean that it is blanched and shocked, and packed.

And ten cups is one hello, hell of, a lot of spinach. I mean a lot. That's like about fifty souffle's worth of spinach.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

Without looking at the recipe, I'm guessing this means raw spinach, since spinach is the incredible shrinking vegetable after it is cooked. And, yes, I would wash, then gently pack the spinach into a big measuring cup, but don't go all Chuck Norris on it.

Like pierino said, 10 cups of cooked, packed spinach is a ridonculous amount of spinach, unless you're making spinach for, you know, a small army, or a large wedding.

Just curious, what does the recipe say to do with the spinach?

Thanks, all!... yes, I should have mentioned what the recipe is. It's butternut squash lasagna. One of the layers is sauteed spinach & onion. The recipe makes two trays. I've used spinach in lasagna before but never followed a recipe. And, I agree, 10 cups did seem like a lot!

Rattlesnake_ridge_me_glenn_08.28.10_001

The amount and the fact that it's a lasagna leads me to think the recipe probably means a rough chop and NOT packed, but that's just what I would do.

Guacamole Girl, I'm guessing from your answer that the recipe really means 1 cup of cooked spinach and not 10. It has to be a typo.

10 cups raw spinach, packed but not bruised, sounds about right for a lasagne layer to me. Do the instructions say to then cook it? You haven't said yet if the recipe implies if it is cooked first or not

(Follow-up)
Thanks everyone! I'm new here and I should have posted a link to the recipe in the beginning. I want to share it now because it was so good... and a great way to use butternut squash. On the spinach, my solution was a hybrid of mrslarkin and Mr Vittles ideas. I did use 10 cups.

http://find.myrecipes.com...