🔎

When a recipe calls for "10 cups of fresh spinach"... does that mean packed?

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_
Mr_Vittles added over 3 years ago

Yes. It should mean that it is blanched and shocked, and packed.

And ten cups is one hello, hell of, a lot of spinach. I mean a lot. That's like about fifty souffle's worth of spinach.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

Without looking at the recipe, I'm guessing this means raw spinach, since spinach is the incredible shrinking vegetable after it is cooked. And, yes, I would wash, then gently pack the spinach into a big measuring cup, but don't go all Chuck Norris on it.

Like pierino said, 10 cups of cooked, packed spinach is a ridonculous amount of spinach, unless you're making spinach for, you know, a small army, or a large wedding.

Just curious, what does the recipe say to do with the spinach?

Guacamole Girl added over 3 years ago

Thanks, all!... yes, I should have mentioned what the recipe is. It's butternut squash lasagna. One of the layers is sauteed spinach & onion. The recipe makes two trays. I've used spinach in lasagna before but never followed a recipe. And, I agree, 10 cups did seem like a lot!

Rattlesnake_ridge_me_glenn_08.28.10_001
ShieldCook7 added over 3 years ago

The amount and the fact that it's a lasagna leads me to think the recipe probably means a rough chop and NOT packed, but that's just what I would do.

Guacamole Girl, I'm guessing from your answer that the recipe really means 1 cup of cooked spinach and not 10. It has to be a typo.

nutcakes added over 3 years ago

10 cups raw spinach, packed but not bruised, sounds about right for a lasagne layer to me. Do the instructions say to then cook it? You haven't said yet if the recipe implies if it is cooked first or not

Guacamole Girl added over 3 years ago

(Follow-up)
Thanks everyone! I'm new here and I should have posted a link to the recipe in the beginning. I want to share it now because it was so good... and a great way to use butternut squash. On the spinach, my solution was a hybrid of mrslarkin and Mr Vittles ideas. I did use 10 cups.

http://find.myrecipes.com...