New Year's Day traditions

I tried to propose this as a contest, but was too late. So what are your food traditions, your hangover cures, your food resolutions?

Cook-better-thanfb_profile

Black eyed peas....but with a Texas twist. I make corn and black eyed pea salsa, so much better than black eyed peas with ham hock.

My sister has always been a black-eyed pea person. Your salsa with corn sounds heavenly. Thank you.

Wait! This is basically "Hoppin' John" but nothing is better than a ham hock unless it's a ham shank.

I have a couple of bison shanks that I think I'll try for something different.

3-bizcard

I always make a baked ham on New Years day. For the food52 potluck I made Tastefoods smoked ham with pomegranate molasses, black pepper and dijon mustard glaze i will make this on New Years Day. I also always make egg nog on New Years Eve. Its a tradition from my childhood that i do every year without fail.

Oh, sounds wonderful, sdb. Let's talk on NY Day. I'll email you my phone #.

3-bizcard

Yes, I would love that!

Dumplings!!! That's what happens every time a bunch of Chinese parents get together for any occasion at all, anyway :D You need a lot of hands, and they are delicious. Why not?

As a kid growing up, it was always buckets of KFC chicken and football games....no w no real tradition, but I am thinking of making Merrill's Slow Roasted Duck with maybe an orange glaze. That could certainly turn into a tradition!

I seriously don't remember any NYD food traditions when I was growing up. I have a feeling that after the headlong rush from Thanksgiving through Christmas (and the late night wrapping sessions), my mother was seriously worn out by the New Year. I can't say I blame her, either. Since starting my own family, and especially since my husband died, my sister has superstitioned me into the bean tradition. This year I'm thinking about relegating them to a side dish. Here's to new traditions!

Why not, indeed! What do you fill them with? What a lovely image you've posted.

Sorry, tinabeans, I tried to post this as a reply to your dumpling story.

Cotechino con lentiche. Lentils are traditional at New Year because they symbolize coins. The cotechino is a big fat sausage which has its origin Emilia. Sliced up it also looks like coins. I do have a recipe posted here.

The coin implication is lovely. Not so far from the long bean idea. Would you mind posting the link, pierono?

I made your Korean tacos last night. The son ate 3, and the vegetarian daughter 2. Fantastic.

Image

When I was growing up, New Year's Day was always football-watching day in our house. Mostly now we just hang out and graze.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

We (actually I, to be a bit more precise) have but one New Years tradition: a root beer float on New Years Eve, going back to when I was a kid. A real treat that was, and is, still. (I love root beer floats, but only have one a year.) New Years Day is always a holiday -- as in, no clients need my help, ever, that day -- so I usually take advantage of it to work at a comfortable pace in the kitchen throughout the day, listening to football games on the radio. Our meal is typically something that simmers for a good long while. And there's a high probability that I'll bake a loaf of bread to go with it. ;o)

This year I am with you, AntoniaJames. For a welcome change, I have no catering jobs on NYE. A couple of years ago we had 2 large weddings that night. I think I got home at 4:30 am that night. And very nearly fell asleep at the wheel as I recall. The son and the daughter leave in the morning after a fantastic visit, I teach my last class of the year tomorrow evening, and the rest of the year is mine. "A comfortable space in the kitchen" has my name written all over it. Thank you so much.

3-bizcard

I love the root beer float, what a wonderful idea. I don't go out on New Years Eve, quietly watch the Times Square party from my couch. In my neighborhood Pratt University releases steam from their huge old boiler that makes a sort of loud horn like noise at midnight. I usually sit on the steps to my backyard with a cup of eggnog and listen to them. There are usually fireworks going off at the same time. Football is a huge part of the New Years Day festivities and we enjoy a nice dinner while watching a game.

The only football I remember was hoping the Texas A&M vs Texas game would be televised on Thanksgiving Day. Fast forward to San Francisco to where we moved in Joe Montana's rookie year. I've been a serious addict ever since. Count grazing as another addiction. Thanks, Barbara.

The Reply function is suffering a bit here.

036

The LAST A&M / UT game was this year! WAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

WAAAAAAAAHHHHHH is right!

Cabbage and Collards.. symbolize "Money and wealth". I don't know if using leafy veggies where traditional before paper money was invented. But that's a common explanation for Collards and cabbage for NYD.

Your cabbage and collards explanation sounds very logical, Sam1148. Probably along the same line as Chinese long beans.

Corned Beef and Cabbage! For good luck all year long!

I'm curious; what is it about corned beef & cabbage that brings good luck? We're all learning a lot here.

Anita_date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Go-to hangover food all year round = ramen from the local sushi joint! Food resolution = eat more greens. New Year's tradition: I'm starting a new one this year: a bagel with the works. I never eat bagels, but this is NYC! Why miss out??

When isn't ramen a good idea!

036

We started a NEW tradition a few years ago - we used to do the usual drink too much and start the new year feeling like crap, but now we make a great dinner, drink a great bottle of wine, watch midnight on TV somewhere east of us, and go to bed by 10 or so. New years DAY we do a long walk, this year we are doing a 12K in honor of 2012. Then we have black-eyed peas and whatever else is on the menu, and lounge about. Preferably in some pajama-like garments :-)

I take the dogs on a long NYD hike, too.

I'd love to be alongside your fire pit!

At boulangere's request; http://www.food52.com/recipes...
You may have to substitute another sausage because the cotechino demand curve in major cities with Italian delis and "pork stores" skyrockets at New Year.

Thanks, pierino. Happy New Year to all.

Gator_cake

We typically do the First Run in Portland. It's a 5k that starts at the stroke of midnight and is held along the Willamette River in downtown Portland. It's a fun way to be a part of the festivities, and attempt to start the year off on the right foot!

Sounds like great fun.

036

THAT sounds FUN!!!!!

Junechamp

Always make Hoppin' John, collard greens and cornbread for New Years Day. Other menus may vary, but this one is written in stone... Got a couple of great big meaty ham shanks ready to go.

I took the son and the daughter out to our friends' bison ranch and picked up, among other things, some shanks that may find their way into something that day.

Jan2013cropped

We always have black-eyed peas, collard greens and pork of some variety, while our Polish neighbors always have kielbasa and sauerkraut. And, I always resolve to drink more water! - http://romeocucina.blogspot....

Variations on a theme, there's a lot of that coming out here, interestingly. I had no idea what to expect when I posted the question, but I anticipated learning a lot. I returned from Italy last summer with a serious Pelegrino habit, which has aided significantly in my plan also to consume more water. Thank you, and Happy New Year.

Buddhacat

New Year's Eve fireworks go off from the top of the Space Needle. If the weather is clear (as in no fog) we go out on a friend's boat and watch them and have wonderful appetizers. New Year's Day is time for a long walk and a wonderful slow cooked something - to be decided.

Regarding resolutions, I have a group of friends and we have been meeting for dinner every Thursday night for over 10 years at our respective homes. We call ourselves The Partnership Group, and there are 16 of us. Of course traveling and other things happen so not everyone is always in attendance, and the dinners go on. The first Sunday after the New Year we get together and generate our resolutions for the upcoming year. It is so wonderfully supportive to share plans and intentions with a group!

What lovely ideas for a few resolutions of my own. Minus the Space Needle, obviously. Thank you!

Flavor_drizzles_art

I grew up in PA, with a strong influence of the PA Dutch lifestyle. Every New Years in was tradition to have roast pork and sauerkraut. Family stories explained that this meal meant good luck for the coming year. Each family had their different ways to prepare the sauerkraut, but commonly sliced apples. diced onion or apple sauce was added with brown sugar to sweet the sauerkraut as it roasted with the pork in the oven. The smell filled our home as it was served with large steaming bowls of creamy mashed potatoes. Good memories.

I love the ringing in the new via the old.

We always have a big extended family party on NYE. The first thing eaten on New Year's day is always Japanese ozoni soup, a clear dashi broth with carrots, daikon, mizuna, a piece of mochi (glutinous rice cake) and my family includes clams. It is believed that one's good luck for the year hinges on a bowl of this auspicious soup so I always gulp down the clams, even though I don't care for them. It doubles as a pretty good hangover cure!

It sounds wonderful with or without the hangover. Happy New Year to you and your family.

Same to you, boulangere! Cheers to a happy, healthy and prosperous 2012!

Dsc00426

A few years ago I started a New Year's Day crêpe party tradition, which my sister has also since adopted. I make many, many quarts of batter and all kinds of fillings: dulce de leche, lemon curd, ricotta, ratatouille, caramelized onions, sautéed mushrooms, and bacon to name a few. And there's peanut butter, honey, Nutella, powdered sugar, jam, and pretty much anything else I can pull out of the cupboard. It's fun to watch people feeling compelled to make THE BEST combination of fillings they can come up with and then encourage everyone else to try it (one of the most memorable was dulce de leche and bacon).

I also make buttermilk cinnamon rolls and, instead of Hoppin' John, a room temperature salad of black-eyed peas, kale, veggies, and vinaigrette. There's a pot of cider on the stove, makings for Bloody Marys, a couple of other baked goods (scones, muffins), and a take-home treat like granola or tea blends.

Buddhacat

vvanessa, what time do we show up at your house on NYD?

I'll be the one tagging along with SKK.

Dsc00426

SKK and boulangere, I would most happily save a place for you at the crêpe buffet!

Collards, Ham, and Black Eyed peas. For new years day.

One tradition in the Southern USA which most people don't use now..is putting a dime in the black-eyed peas.
the person that gets the dime is supposed to have wealth and luck that year...or a visit from paramedics.

I think that dates back to Twelfth night traditions where a raw bean was baked in a cake..and in New Orleans tradition as a "king cake" with the plastic baby trinket baked inside.

I hear you. We'd better be practicing our Heimlich maneuvers if we're going to be cooking or baking with foreign objects. I knew of the baby Jesus baked into the King's Cake, but the not the dime in the black-eyed peas. Thanks as always, and Happy New Year to you.

I think after my NYE menu of Bone marrow, crab or lobster, clarified butter; and for breakfast Eggs Benedict--then ham, collards with salt pork, black-eyed pea with yet more salt pork..my tradition will be to check my dosage on the Lipitor.

LOL, Sam1148! I'm thinking about a Right On the Money soup for NYD, incorporating your and Peirino's and a few others' ideas.

Bigpan

sleep in, then brunch of chemical free smoked bacon with poached eggs on toast. Also, share a half bottle of champagne and have a nap.

Bigpan

Dsc_0122.nef-1

Definitely on the menu, a sweet traditional south Indian dessert known as shakkarai Pongal (made with rice, toasted mumng & Jaggery, ) or a Payasam/kheer (Made with milk& sugar, with either rice, ground up almonds or toasted vermicelli)

I'm looking forward to cooking with you in the new year.

Summer_2010_1048

This has been so fun to read. Thanks for a great question boulangere. We don't have a NYD tradition, but I always find myself craving Asian flavors after all the holiday feasting so this year it's pierino's kalbi flank steak. All the best for 2012 to everyone..