🔔
🔎

What type of rice do you use in recipes like jambalaya long grain or quick rice? Do you cook if separate or beforehand?

asked by Slivy almost 3 years ago

Depends on the recipe. Most NOLA recipes would mention 'rice' as uncooked by default unless specified. And they'd be talking about long grain rice..."Uncle Bens, Enriched rice" or "China Girl" brand. Not quick rice.
The amount of stock would clue you in...Think of it as a stock pot Paella with cajun seasonings.

Thanks for the info. I just find that the rice does not cook all the way through and takes forever

Bigpan

I've always used long grain domestic with no problems. I've never used a "quick" rice so can't comment. The key to a good jambalaya is the spices. I prefer use less heat and more spice so you can differentiate individual tastes. I also can recommend using premier Japanese rice as many now are grown in California.

006

I have been making jambalaya for years and always use a straight white rice, cooked prior to blending it into my jambalaya.

Quick rice is evil. Never use it for anything you want to be proud of. As to whether or not in cooks in the jambalaya or not, look at your recipe. Some that I use (Paul Prudhomme's and John Besh's) cook it separately. Some cook it in the pot with the rest of the dish.

Yes, typically you would use long grain Carolina style white rice. And the jambalaya is indeed served over the cooked rice. And speaking of "evil" one of the worst atrocities I've ever seen on a chain restaurant menu was "Jambalaya pasta". The creole term "jambalaya" literally means ham and rice. The restaurant dish sounds about as exciting as a veggie burger.

I"m changing my answer to this. While rice is sometime cooked with the Jambalaya . My personal preference is serving the mix over cooked rice, especially etouffees.