FREE Standard Shipping Through Monday. Shop Now »
🔔
🔎

What are Meyer lemons and where can I buy them?

Making chicken skewers with lemon salsa

asked by Ms. Laura almost 3 years ago

It's pretty much a cross between a lemon and an orange. I've purchased them many times at Whole Foods. I'm not sure when they're in season so I'd call ahead to either there or your local organic/specialty food market.

Photo_on_2014-07-11_at_6.17_pm

The Meyer lemons we get in Toronto are from California, and they're definitely less tart than a conventional (Eureka) lemon, with an herbal, bergamot-like nuance and a thinner skin. In the last 10 years they've become more accessible in big chain supermarkets. Here's something from Wikipedia on them: http://en.wikipedia.org...

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870

They are a wonderful lemon & orange cross. They are seasonal. Usually available about this time of year in the US. They are less tart & the skin is rather sweet than bitter. You can eat the whole thing! If you have a very sunny window, you can grow them in a pot. I've had one for years and typically get between 2 and 5 lemons per season. They are wonderful when they bloom because the fragrance is outrageously good. I saved some of the blossoms to put into my rhubarb flower petal vermouth that I made in the spring... Whole Foods is a good place, my mother found them bagged in her local Shaw's Supermarket in NH. They're worth looking for!

Scan0004

I've been looking for them locally (in New Hampshire) for a few years, rarely finding them until this year. Now I can get them in mesh bags, and they don't cost as much as gold. So ask in the produce department of your supermarket, produce market or health food store. Good luck!

Thanks guys! I'm in the Chicagoland area and they have them at my Whole Foods.

Check a local Middle Eastern store. They often have them and really good limes; which are almost like key-limes. for much cheaper than a Whole Foods. It's a preferred lemon to use for preserved lemons. It has a very thin skin, with very little bitterness in the Pith, infact a very thin pith. Which also makes it great for sugared lemon rind candy. (think crystallized ginger). And for lemon aide type drinks (with some seltzer water).