How do I get pizza dough very thin

asked by csk1010 over 2 years ago

It's going to depend on the dough recipe.

But the general rule is let it rise overnight in the fridge. Bring it back to room temp.

When you roll it out..it will spring back, which I suspect is your problem. Roll it out...cover with plastic wrap at room temp..and let it rest 10 mins..repeat until it submits. Flipping the dough and rolling and stretching/ and resting it.

Unless you're skillfull with a pizza peel, a thin dough can be very difficult to deploy in the oven--often shaking off the toppings. For thin dough, I pre-bake mine about 5 mins then remove and decorate.
If you want the dough flat with no bubbles in the dough. "Dock" it by pricking it with a fork before prebaking.
This stops the air bubbles from forming, however I like the bubbles on a thin dough. Not NYC style tho.

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870

I find mine easier to roll if it is kept chilled in the fridge before rolling. Don't bring it to room temp. But as Sam says, it will depend on your recipe. Try both and see which works for your recipe.

The protein content of the flour(s) you use will largely determine how easy your dough is to work with. I tend to go with lower-protein flours because they result in an easily extensible dough that doesn't require an overnight or prolonged rest (when the mood for a pizza strikes me, I tend to want one sooner rather than later ; ) ). And I never roll my dough, rather I press it out gently with my hands, working from the center outward. If it begins to resist (pull back), I drape a towel over it and let it rest for 10 or 15 minutes, then go at it again.

Junechamp

I started to write a detailed explanation, then I read what boulangere wrote above. She's right.

Thank you ChefJune ; )

Here's how I do it http://www.food52.com/recipes... Hands down this has been my most popular 52 recipe. Amanda and Merrill were nice enough to produce a video which you can find on this site.