🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

A question about a recipe: Santa's Cranberry Vodka

Cranberry_cocktail_main

I have a question about the recipe "Santa's Cranberry Vodka" from Maria Teresa Jorge. I made this per the recipe and it turned out very dark. . . not as festive and pretty as the photo. My guess is due to the brown sugar rather than cane sugar. In addition, the ingredients combined make well over a litre, so my proportions were off when I realized the remaining vodka was not going to make it in the jar. Also, did you simmer the cranberries and remove from the heat before they began splitting? Or did it make a difference? I would appreciate your directions.

asked by Jennifer Russell almost 3 years ago
Noz_photo

Because the cranberry sauce is brought to a boil and simmered for 10 minutes, it's likely that they will have split. That is okay!

As for the color of the finished vodka, there are a few possibilities: it may be from the darkness of the brown sugar used, or perhaps because of how long the cranberry sauce was boiled (caramelized sugar turns darker). Another possibility is that you didn't pour the full amount of vodka into the bottle after pouring in the cranberry sauce -- next time you might try mixing all of the cranberry sauce and all of the vodka in a bowl, then pouring from that into your bottles. Good luck!

You could also give it a bit of clarification with egg whites. Much like you would when making a consomme.