🔎

• 10

• 1432

• See other questions tagged:
    • cooking

Does bolognese need milk at the end of last reduction?

Old recipe says yes. Does it matter to final taste?

Soleonstairs_cropped_4-23-11
kel_russell added over 2 years ago

The recipe I use (Marco Canora) doesn't call for any... I'm sure you'll be fine either way

With_ab
JessicaBakes added over 2 years ago

Agree with kel...it's up to you. Alton Brown puts evaporated milk in and boils for 30 minutes at the end.

GIOVANNI50 added over 2 years ago

If Alton says so. It must be good! Thanks

Cannizzo added over 2 years ago

My recipe calls for cream bolognese means its from Bologna north of Rome and its a regione of Italy were they use a lot of dairy in their cooking

GIOVANNI50 added over 2 years ago

The old bolognese (from Bologna!) recipe that's 400 years old calls for a full glass of milk. You are probably right! But I wanted to know if anyone noticed difference in flavor

Bigpan
bigpan added over 2 years ago

I add a cream about 18% fat . When you add dairy the fat allows it to not curdle and incorporate correctly. You can always take a bit out and do with dairy, then compare the two so next time you can make your preference.

The milk should go in near the beginning rather than the end. And 400 years ago they didn't have tomatoes in Bologna---a product of the New World and Colombus. Tomatoes weren't even accepted as food until the late 18th Century but now considered an essential (in proportion) component to ragu bolognese along with a mixture of meats.

GIOVANNI50 added over 2 years ago

Correct! Original bolognese calls for no tomatos!

jenmmcd added over 2 years ago

A few years back Saveur had a really interesting article about this very topic and what they reported was that it varies. Some people swear yes; others no. But every recipe I've seen, like Pierino says, adds the milk early.