🔔
🔎

Frenched rack of pork.

I purchased half of a Frenched rack of pork. It looks beautiful. I have not cooked this before. I cook rack of lamb quite frequently. I was planning to treat the pork similarly, meaning browning by searing it on the stove top before putting it in the oven. All the recipes I have seen online do not include the browning step. Why is that? Any other thoughts you may have that will help me address this piece of meat. It is just under 2 lbs.

asked by Summer of Eggplant almost 3 years ago

That is a very small rack, is it from the baby back ribs? If you tie 2 together, you have a crown roast of pork, just to give you an idea of what you are dealing with--those can weigh up to 7 lbs per rack.. I've made these and I think they don't need to be browned because you cook pork longer and it will pick up some oven browning. You want to pork to be tender and searing it will toughen it a bit too. The most important thing is to not overcook it. Most thermometers will have you over cook. I like to cook to about 137F and let it sit and the temp rise. But with such a small piece, I'd book to 142F and not a minute longer. Enjoy it. It would be great painted with mustard/apricot preserves and coated in fresh bread crumbs too.

Thanks! It's actually only 3 chops. And I agree, I hate overcooked pork.

Yes, even the Feds have now agreed that pork doesn't need to be cooked to the old standard temp, possibly because there hasn't been a case of trichonosis in this country since, what, the 1930's? Let's just say that pork cooked on the bone is mighty fine.

Love it pink, good to know.

Pork shrinks from high heat! Make a smear of garlic, mustard and horseradish! Coat meat w that and place on thinly sliced onions (onions serve as a rack) and will be great if you make sauce after cooking!