Is there a kind of nonstick pan that won't have to get tossed if scratched?

I know that pans coated with nonstick materials are unsafe if scratched, but is there any type on nonstick pan where this isn't the case?

asked by fozziebayer over 2 years ago
3-bizcard

You might want to read up on scan pan which is made in Denmark, they utilize green technology and( All SCANPAN® products are 100% free from PFOA and PFOS, from production to final product) thats from their website. You can even use metal utensils. I don't know that much about them but plan on trying the product soon.

3-bizcard

One other brand that is good imho is Berndes, I have the signocast 13 inch saute with lid and the large stock pot both are over 15 years old and are used frequently (not ever day) and both have almost no visible scratch or mark. Its a Swiss brand, those Scandinavians and their non stick technology again.

Federicocooking

I had an All-Clad skillet that got very scratched and I returned it to them and they supplied a new one--this was several years after I bought it, so I was very impressed.

Again, I agree with sdebrango. You can find Scan Pan products at Sur La Table (and they regularly run sales). In traveling I've experienced too many temporary kitchens where previous occupants used Teflon pans for nothing other than scrambled eggs leaving fork scrapes in the surface. Morons.

Bestface

I know this isn't necessarily a 100% "nonstick" pan, but I have had great luck with cast-iron skillets. Because you keep oiling them to preserve their state, it essentially becomes "non-stick," at least mine have.

Plus, they distribute and hold heat very well.

I may invest in Scan Pan one day. I find I have to replace my single non-stick pan every 5 years or so.
Right now I'm using a 35 dollar "T-Fel" professional which is a great pan. Look for the "Professional" one--it has a much better disk than the normal line; it can be hard if not impossible to find in brick stores. I had to order mine online.

Anita_date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Cook with stainless steel pans instead of nonstick. Or, better yet, get some cast iron and season it. You will be a better cook. I promise. Seriously, I threw away my last nonstick pan 6 years ago and have not looked back once. Even if they're not scratched, they degrade over time--a waste of your hard-earned money when you have to replace them.

One way to ensure your food doesn't stick to the pan is to get it good and hot before cooking. Usually food sticks because the pan is not hot enough. You'll find that you use less oil, too. My other guarantee: stop using paper towels. Buy some cheap side towels and throw them in the wash with your other linens when they get dirty. This will also make you a better cook. I promise.

Sunshine-small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

I'd do away with my non-stick except for omelettes and frittatas. Does anyone do either of those in standard pans successfully without a sea of oil or butter?

Anita_date
Anitalectric

Peter, back in my egg-eatin' days, I would do frittatas in a small all-clad skillet with no problem. I started them on the stovetop and finished them under the broiler...would then lift out with a spatula with no problem and not too much oil. Omelettes I did on cast iron griddle. As long as it is seasoned nothing should stick!

I do use a dedicated omelet pan (same for crepes, I use a crepe pan). What I've found is that the ones that come off later in the cooking are the best because the pan is storing and retaining heat. This is true of pancakes and crepes---you sometimes have to discard the first ones off the line. I use clarified butter (or ghee) to begin the process but not an ocean of it.

Withclair

I guess I'm going to stick with my usual method of just buying the cheapest nonstick possible so that when it gets scratched I can replace it. The cheap ones seem to scratch as soon as the expensive models...

Thanks all!

If you go the "cheap" route, and no reason you can't, be sure not to use metal tools; forks, spatulas, phillips head screw drivers etc.

Look for Ceramic coated pans. My mum who is so hard on non stick anything (she refuses to use anything but metal spoons, lifters, knives etc) has had hers for over 3 years without a scatch

which brand does she use? I have been eyeing the cuisinart green pans with ceramic coating. I only use teflon pans for eggs and pancakes but would love to use non-stick for a few more things.