🔎

• 7

• 27963

• See other questions tagged:
    • cookies

Can I substitute wax paper for parchment paper to bake cookies?

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

I wouldn't. Instead I'd grease the baking sheets.

Your house will smell like burning candles, and your cookies will taste like them.

Matt Sz added about 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

No.

Parchment has a silicone-based coating that will withstand the high temperatures of an oven. Wax paper is, not surprisingly, coated in a wax. The wax can, and will, transfer to your food. The other concern with wax paper is that there is a good chance it will catch fire in your oven.

Savorykitchen added about 2 years ago

Agreed. Wax paper isnt intended for that kind of high heat exposure. That said, I do us it to line cake pans when the paper will be covered completely by batter and not directly exposed to the oven's heat.

Cam Tucker added about 2 years ago

DO NOT USE waxpaper as parchment paper. The coating will melt and ruin your food!

313209_2493694741674_1231978067_33008415_1220700979_n
angiegeyser added about 2 years ago

No! Wax paper is not oven safe and will smoke and burn in your oven.

Dsc_3321
PistachioDoughnut added about 2 years ago

No way! I did a silly mistake few weeks ago..by baking potato puffs onto wax paper because i didn't have parchment paper and didn't wish to grease it with cooking spray or butter..never is the answer..