🔔
🔎

What is a good/easy recipe for Homemade Mayonnaise?

asked by Cam Tucker almost 3 years ago

Do you have a blender or a food processor? which?

I have both!

Okay great, easy then. Use your food processor because the pusher tube has a tiny hole in it. After you all add the ingredients except the oil, you put the measured amount into the food processor tube and it will drop slowly into the mix while you are processing and that will make sure your mayo comes out great.

Here is a recipe for FP mayonaise posted in the NYT food blog:
1 egg yolk or whole egg
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice or sherry or white wine vinegar
1 cup neutral oil, like grapeseed or corn, or extra virgin olive oil, or a combination

Put the yolk or egg, mustard, salt, pepper and lemon juice or vinegar in the container of a food processor and turn the machine on. While it's running, add the oil in a slow, steady stream. (Your food processor should have a teeny hole you may never have noticed in the insert -- the "food pusher" -- in the top; if it doesn't, you might want a different food processor.). When an emulsion forms you can add it a little faster. (Again, the little hole makes this unnecessary.) Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.

Full link, with flavored mayo here:
http://dinersjournal.blogs...

My food processor doesn't have the little hole, but it's brand new. So I am not ready to get a new one. Crap!

Chris_in_oslo

Not to worry. Just add the oil s-l-o-w-l-y.

ARe you sure about the hole? On some models it can look as tiny as a pinhole, on others, more like a quiona pellet. If no, then when you start, just add the oil drop by drop, then dribble by dribble until it is comming together then move on to a tiny steady stream. It may help if you pour from a glass measuring cup that has a pouring lip.

I should add that all olive oil is quite strong and I'd recommend 1/2 & 1/2 at the most.

Chris_in_oslo

It took me decades to discover that little hole! Just as well, as the first time I used it, the oil was added too quickly, and I had to re-group. My advice is to start out adding the oil to feed tube very slowly. Once the mayonnaise is starting to emulsify, you can fill the feed tube and let the oil add itself more quickly.

If you do have the problem I had--the emulsion breaking--don't panic. Just re-start with another egg yolk, and gradually add the broken mayonnaise.

Good tip about how to fix a broken sauce.

I've a stick blender. An ancient Braun with the 'whipping disk" and a glass jar with good results and little mess and fuss.

I probably should explain this tech a bit better. You dump everything in the jar, egg, acid, flavorings and the oil.

The stick blender starts at the bottom...the oil floats. So it's backwards, but all in one jar. As you bring the whipping disk of the stick blender up very slowly, you incorporate the oil that floating, bit by bit..and keep doing that with the stick blender, until it all comes together. So you have to have a bit of a light hand there to start it...but far much easier than a food processor or blender.

Scan0004

I think this is an amazing technique. Here's a video and a recipe. When I found it I watched it a few times because it's so dramatic!
http://nami-nami.blogspot...

Great video SusanG!

A lot of us have stick blenders. And when making mayo, you have to adjust to the tool you're using. Thinking 'backwards'..oil floats, the blender blade can move from bottom to top and pick up oil from the top.

I almost always use an electric hand mixer to make mayonnaise. I first beat the egg york with some lemon juice, mustard, and salt (amd maybe some vinegar if I want a tangier mayo), then slowly add the oil while the hand mixer does its job. I also generally use the rule of 1 egg yolk to 3/4 cup oil instead of a whole cup of oil. And I never use olive oil. Enjoy, and good eating!