🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Nekisia Davis' Olive Oil and Maple Granola

C732943a 7ca0 41f0 a6f6 96d7cfbb4a91  food52 01 17 12 9832

I have a question about the recipe "Nekisia Davis' Olive Oil and Maple Granola" from Genius Recipes. I usually use coconut oil in my granola. I find olive oil a bit over-assertive in baked goods, but then, I have a fairly sensitive palette. What do you think would change if I subbed coconut oil here? Less uniform clumping/coating? Not enough savory? Thanks!!

asked by imadok over 4 years ago
5934975a 77b2 4880 85b7 d4f61e2dc7d0  withclair

I'd use grapeseed or other neutral oil to replace some of the olive oil, but leave some in for a less assertive olive oil flavor. Perhaps a 3:1 neutral to olive ratio.

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

Several others have said they use coconut oil in the comments thread here, so it would be worth a try: http://www.food52.com/blog... But I also don't think the olive oil is very aggressive in this recipe. It adds an understated savory richness to balance out the sweeter ingredients. Either way, let us know what you think!

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

My batch, just out of the oven, is delicious! I, too, have been disappointed when I have baked with olive oil, but do try it here! If you are using a mild olive oil, you will not taste "olive oil" -- no one would guess it was in there -- and it really does add something special. That and the Maldon salt!

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

REgular vegetable oil, like canola, is a good sub, given the price of olive oil. The other flavors in the granola, which I've been making for quite a while via the Melissa Clark version, dominate; the taste of olive oil doesn't really come through that strongly. Sometimes I make it with olive oil, sometimes not, depending on what I've got. You can, however, cut back on the sweeteners. It is quite sweet, and thus halving the brown sugar is hardly noticeable. I'll bet you could easily sub honey for maple syrup, too. This granola tastes delicious but not really maple-y, since cooking tends to drive off the delicate maple taste. I have ready access to syrup from my own woods, but I know how expensive it is.