🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

I sealed lean ground beef in a ziplock bag over night to discover that most of it had turned brown. Is it still safe to cook?

22254_i_sealed_lean_ground_beef_in_a_ziplock_bag_over_night_to_discover_that_most_of_it_had_turned_brown._is_it_still_safe_to_cook_

asked by chas_wagner over 2 years ago

Sniff it smell it. The coloration isn't the problem. Beef will go brown when it's exposed to oxygen.
The color doesn't matter for safety (well except green)...the slime and 'off sniff' is the only way to tell.
Ground beef does go brown easily. It's just a couple of days out from purchase, you should be fine despite a brown color. A sniff test and slime toss it.

Great thanks Sam. Passed the sniff and smell test so we're already on the grill.

I think I may my information backwards. Oxygen is what makes it red. While lack of O makes it brown. So, sometimes you'll get a brown interior on a package and a pink outside.

Bigpan

Ask your butcher ... The best red meats are just when they start to turn brown as the collagen has broken down and the meat more tender. Butchers octet charge more for such aging while supermarkets put in the discount bin.