🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

A question about a recipe: Short Rib Ragu. No Dried Porcini Mushrooms at my grocery store... Are dried Morels OK?

110111f_356

I have a question about the ingredient "dried porcini mushrooms" on the recipe "Short Rib Ragu" from Minimally Invasive.

asked by lmiller over 2 years ago
Photo_on_2014-07-11_at_6.17_pm

I've never used dried Morels, but would think while they would be okay to use, they'll tint the dish with a bit of a different flavour. When I think of Morels I think of springtime and asparagus and eggs, but porcini have a dark flavour that's hard to replicate. Maybe a package of mixed dried mushrooms if you can't find porcini?

Porcini have a much meatier flavor than morels, which tend to be more delicate (and used in lighter dishes than a ragu). I once tried the opposite - substituting porcini for morels in a dish at the same quantity and the porcini overpowered the dish completely. I suspect that it is the meatiness of the porcini that is what the ragu recipe is after, so I think you would lose some of the richness of the dish with the morels, as well as some of the flavor. Shalini's suggestion of mixed, dried mushrooms would probably be a better choice than just using morels.