🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Any reason I can't steam a whole frozen chicken for about 4hrs and be ok?

I know frozen is typically a no-no but I figure I'm just putting it in chili after anyway. Plus I figure I'll cheat the system and get awesomely concentrated stock afterwards.

asked by joedevens over 2 years ago

If it works let me know!

Will do! We're about 2.5 hours in and all seems well!

Stringio

it should be food safe, as long as the steamer is powerful enough to heat the chicken to the center. but steaming won't get you allot of flavor; roasting would be much better. just put the chicken in an oven safe dish big enough to hold it and a half inch or so of water and place in the oven at 350.

If you didn't take the "innards" out before you froze the chicken, it will have a bad taste because of the liver being inside. Put the chicken in a sinkful of tepid water and it will thaw in a couple of hours. Remove the innards then cook how you wish.

I meant to update this a while back. In the end, it worked! I ended up after about 3 hours with a wonderfully steamed chicken and about a quart and a half of wonderfully concentrated chicken stock. The chili became cassoulet and all was good!