🔎

Any reason I can't steam a whole frozen chicken for about 4hrs and be ok?

I know frozen is typically a no-no but I figure I'm just putting it in chili after anyway. Plus I figure I'll cheat the system and get awesomely concentrated stock afterwards.

KimW added about 2 years ago

If it works let me know!

joedevens added about 2 years ago

Will do! We're about 2.5 hours in and all seems well!

CatalunaLilith added about 2 years ago

it should be food safe, as long as the steamer is powerful enough to heat the chicken to the center. but steaming won't get you allot of flavor; roasting would be much better. just put the chicken in an oven safe dish big enough to hold it and a half inch or so of water and place in the oven at 350.

SallyBroff added about 2 years ago

If you didn't take the "innards" out before you froze the chicken, it will have a bad taste because of the liver being inside. Put the chicken in a sinkful of tepid water and it will thaw in a couple of hours. Remove the innards then cook how you wish.

joedevens added about 2 years ago

I meant to update this a while back. In the end, it worked! I ended up after about 3 hours with a wonderfully steamed chicken and about a quart and a half of wonderfully concentrated chicken stock. The chili became cassoulet and all was good!