🔎

Can anyone recommend a good slow cooker cookbook?

I am a slow cooker newbie. So far, I've had one stunning success (a beef stew) and one abject failure (a chicken curry). I'd like to increase my success rate but I'm not quite sure how/where to start.

CatalunaLilith added about 2 years ago

as a cookbook, not really, but you can easily do a search here on food52 for slow cooker recipes, there are allot

softpunk added about 2 years ago

Art of the Slow Cooker from Chronicle Books is worth adding to your collection.

Face
allans added about 2 years ago

I personally tried and don't like "slow cookers". I would much rather use a Dutch oven and braise something.
I did acquire at least three "slow cooker" cookbooks and found them to be more gimmick than substance.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added about 2 years ago

Are you referring to the slow cooker Fix It n' Forget series? I love the slow cooker; they have come along way (ceramic insery for browning meats, temperature, precise timing, etc.) and recipes and cookbooks that use real ingredients -no canned soups or processed mixes. I use my dutch oven (usually on the weekends), but they great to make beef stews, stock/broth, short ribs, brisket, pork butt, ragus, tomato sauce, etc. Low on electricity and wonderful when you want home-made food but dont have the time.

Scan0004
susan g added about 2 years ago

There have been many new books for slow cookers lately, and much has been published on blogs. I would go to a good book store and page through a number, or go to a library and take some of them home. You should be guided by your taste and preferences. Here's one that I've seen a few recipes for, if you like Indian food (and this isn't for basic cooking, but the techniques will be the same). --
http://www.amazon.com/exec...

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_
Mr_Vittles added about 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

"America's Test Kitchen Slow Cooker Revolution" is an amazing book, that is easy to use and extremely delicious.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooker...

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added about 2 years ago

I own these slow cooker cookbooks and recommend:
Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook (NYM Series) by Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufmann
The Gourmet Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World by Lynn Alley
Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Slow Cooking: Recipes and Techniques for Delicious Slow-Cooked Meals

Also agree with the Art of the Slow Cooker & ATC's Slow Cooker Revolution

Williams-Sonoma website offers tons of recipes on their website, including tips, videos and techniques.

Felnr added about 2 years ago

These are great. Thank you!

313209_2493694741674_1231978067_33008415_1220700979_n
angiegeyser added about 2 years ago

Another vote for Slow Cooker Revolution by America's Test Kitchen.

20090907-jackson-8
jacksonholefoodie added about 2 years ago

The Italian Slow Cooker by Michele Scicolone is my favorite.