🔎

• 3

• 3379

• See other questions tagged:
    • soups

What are the worm like things in pea or lentil soup after it is cooked

catmudd added about 2 years ago

That's the germ. It's where the plant starts.

Wholefoods_user_icon
a Whole Foods Market Customer added about 2 years ago

Yes Michele, Catmudd is right. It is completely normal and good! Also, check out this info and guide on cooking beans from Whole Foods Market: http://www.wholefoodsmarket... Have fun in the kitchen!

Scan0004
susan g added about 2 years ago

Be sure that you have picked through the lentils or peas first, then washed both by rinsing in a sieve and also by setting the sieve in a bowl of water so that anything that shouldn't be in your food can be found and removed. Heavy things like small rocks show up best before rinsing. In a bowl of water, haff and other light things will rise to the surface of the bowl and float. I stir with my hand to work any of these things free and pour them off. Then there are powdery things -- dust and dirt, which will run out of the sieve with the water. Mother Nature isn't always clean -- we need to be actively working with 'her.'