🔔
🔎

A friend gave me a nice bottle of demi sec champagne. I'm not interested in drinking it straight - looking for suggestions on how to use!

asked by spuntino over 2 years ago

I think it would work nicely in a sorbet. Also risotto.

Its best usage would be in a sabayon, or other dessert preparation. Alternately, it can be used as a leavening agent in a dutch pancake

Gator_cake

Have a brunch and make fancy mimosas:
http://www.epicurious.com...

I like HLA's mimosa idea -- and there are some great cocktail and holiday punch recipes on this site that call for champagne/cava/sparkling.

Junechamp

I think it's a pity not to serve that demi-sec (which means it is fairly sweet) Champagne WITH dessert. All those other suggestions are great for less expensive sparkling wines, but I've never been inclined to cook with the "good stuff."

[I feel the same about still wines in that price range.]

Kir royale! a tablespoon of creme de cassis and a flute of champagne. You could also make your own berry reduction. Seems a shame to cook with champagne since the whole point is the bubbly, fizzy quality

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

May I suggest a Spritz. Fill a flute 3/4 full with the champagne. Add a shot (1 oz.) of Campari or Aperol. Finish with seltzer. Its awesome as a brunch cocktail or with any meal as an aperitif. If you want to use it in food, I would not. It would be damn shame to use a real champagne as an ingredient in any dish (just my opinion).

Buddhacat

A Spritz Aperol! Aperol is an appertif from Italy and Its ingredients are, among others, bitter orange, gentian, rhubarb, and cinchona. Would go nicely with demi-sec champagne. This recipe is common, and I shared it on this site because I was astonished I had gone so many years without knowing about this amazing beverage!

Sgroppino. Lemon sorbet topped with champagne. Delish! (there's simple syrup in the original recipe but given the sweetness of he champagne it can be omitted)

Barb

I adore Kir, but for Valentine's Day I plan on serving Wild Hibiscus (Whole Foods) dropped into a champagne
flute and fill it with Champagne or Prosecco. . . .delicious!! The Wild Hibiscus flower is edible and tastes
like a cross between raspberries and rhubar.

oh! wild hibiscus sounds great....I may copy your idea ;)
I am in a climate with a lot of hibiscus plants...I wonder if I could start making syrup.

It's sweet enough. So have a few mimosas, with a softboiled egg, in an egg cup. Toast points. And the mimosa.

Then if you have a 1/2 bottle left. put in some paper towel in the neck..so it can 'breath'..and put it under the counter for 6 months----then you'll have a really good vinegar with no effort, no starter at all, as a sweet wine really WANTS to be vinegar.