🔎

• 32

• 6535

• See other questions tagged:
    • dinner

What to cook for dinner when burnt out on cooking

Dsc_0253_2

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

Cobb salad! lettuce, chicken, bacon, blue cheese, hard boiled egg and loads of avocado! ready so quickly and easily, and so very delicious.

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_
Mr_Vittles added about 2 years ago

Bacon + Eggs. Oven cook the bacon on parchment. Scramble Eggs in a non-stick skillet with some of the bacon fat. This is my go-to dinner when I don't want to cook anything. Cooking the bacon on parchment or in the same pan you cook the eggs leaves very little clean up as an added bonus. Some toast and jam would not hurt.

Melissa_mitchell
MTMitchell added about 2 years ago

I'm going to the freezer tonight. Beef stew my husband made a couple of weeks ago. Adding some barley. Salad.

Bigpan
bigpan added about 2 years ago

Grab your Visa card and go out ! Cocktail, appetizer, dinner served to you with nice wine, dessert - and you don't have to do dishes !

Lulusleep
babytiger added about 2 years ago

I either cook whatever I have on hand that is easy or just go out.

GIOVANNI50 added about 2 years ago

Easy
Boil some water add salt put some spaghetti/or whatever pasta you have, drain, mix in some butter, pepper, and parmiggiano... Good to go.

Jampro
Bevi added about 2 years ago

Pasta with halved cherry tomatoes and parmesan cheese, Olive oil and pepper

Good question! I'm working on a recipe for Food52 that requires a lot of prep time, and I have to meet the deadline. So meanwhile, eggs are always good. An omelet, spaghetti carbonara, cesaer salad, something like that.

Sam1148 added about 2 years ago

Turn a box of "Popeyes" chicken nuggets into a stir fry.
http://www.seriouseats...

I love making homemade from scratch. But the chicken part can be the biggest pain...(cutting it in cubes, 'velveting' it with cornstarch and egg white, frying it, using lots of oil and removing the oil..etc).
The veggie element is so quick and easy hardly worth mentioning.

Sam1148 added about 2 years ago

Sometimes I think we set our expectations too high for day to day cooking. We're bombarded with images of perfectly plated dishes, exotic ingredients, professional chefs that whip up a perfect supposedly simple dishes with ease.

Short cuts are derided and frowned upon by food enthusiasts. That grinds you down.

This doesn't mean you go to the taco-bell and bring home a bag-o-crap and call it a day.

Go back to ONE cook book. Something like joy of cooking, or one of the "Better Homes and Gardens" cook books, and explore more basic recipes to refresh yourself.

Scan0004
susan g added about 2 years ago

Keep a good assortment of leftovers in your refrigerator and freezer. Let some of it be basics -- unseasoned rice, beans, etc. Scour the fridge for orphaned bits of vegetables, sauces that you liked but didn't finish. Pull out things that sort of go together and start mix-and-matching. Use the model of fried rice, or just heat things up, and finish with the appropriate sauce. Your refrigerator shelves will thank you and you will eat well.

Kristen W. added about 2 years ago

I like some sort of bruschetta made with whatever I have on hand plus a simple salad of arugula and parm with a lemon or Dijon vinaigrette. Clean, simple, healthy, delicious.

La_gerbe_detail
rosalind5 added about 2 years ago

Another very simple supper dish that uses ingredients you are likely to have on hand is a potato frittata (idea from the late great Laurie Colwin). Cook up some sliced onions and potatoes until soft, add seasoned beaten eggs with a little milk and bake at 350F until puffed up. Obviously with more work this would become a Spanish tortilla. You can add what ever you have to hand, herbs, cheese, red or green peppers etc. And with a green salad, this makes a simple but satisfying supper.

Lulusleep
babytiger added about 2 years ago

If you don't have potato around, you can actually make the tortilla with chips.

softpunk added about 2 years ago

Bubble and squeak.

20090907-jackson-8
jacksonholefoodie added about 2 years ago

Pasta carbonara rules at our house. I can even get my 11 year old to make it for me.

Face
allans added about 2 years ago

I usually make a "Spanish Omelet". Add salsa, some cheese and sour cream. Done!

Me_in_munich_with_fish
petitbleu added about 2 years ago

Pasta is always good. I also love avocado on toast with salt and pepper. So simple but so good.

Sam1148 added about 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

I just remember a 1800's cookbook I read once.

One of the recipes started with "Have the Maid Make a Roux".

Dsc00859_2
creamtea added about 2 years ago

An olive-oil fried egg, salsa.

Extra-large baked potato w/ choice of fillings including some of the following: salsa,grated cheddar, chickpea salad (made from lemon, olive oil, minced parsley, salt, pepper, optional cumin, minced white onion or scallion), yogurt or sour cream, diced Scotch-smoked salmon, chives. Green salad on the side.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added about 2 years ago

Pasta (butter + cheese or red sauce), breakfast for dinner (cereal, eggs) toast & jam, hummus & crackers, salad - basically scraps from fridge. I hear ya with this question!

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added about 2 years ago

This can be made quickly and so filling: <a href="http://www.food52.com/recipes/2577_rhondas_spaghetti_with_fried_eggs_and_pangritata_for_one" target="_blank">http://www.food52.com/recipes/2577_rhondas_spaghetti_with_fried_eggs_and_pangritata_for_one</a>

cranberry added about 2 years ago

Rice bowls - make up some rice and then serve it with a bunch of different toppings - can go the mexican route with beans, cheese, salsa, sour cream, tomato, etc or asian route with chopped nori, edamame, cukes, soy sauce. Both can have diced meat (chicken, pork or beef) avocado and other veggies available too. Asian style is also good with leftover fish on it - sometimes we have a bit of salmon from last night's dinner that we use. Family members can pick the toppings that work for them. It's kind of a variation on the baked potato bar, or taco night - but with rice as the base.

Dsc00859_2
creamtea added about 2 years ago

I have to remember this! Sounds good.

amysarah added about 2 years ago

Often when it's just me for dinner, I make some plain rice, mix it up with a bit of soy and sesame oil, toss in some chopped scallions, if on hand, and whatever leftover vegetables lurk in the fridge (anything from grating a carrot carrot, to slivered cabbage, to peas, to....) - and eat the whole thing with a fried egg on top. A little chili-garlic paste on the side. Besides the rice cooking, it takes like five minutes - and I seriously look forward to night's I can eat just this. I also do omelets. There's always something around to use as a filling, even when there appears to be nothing. Like the egg version of Stone Soup.

Junechamp

Fish fillets are so quick to fix, even from frozen. When I buy fish I often get extras and freeze each fillet separately. I'll unwrap the number I need and put them -- still frozen -- on a foil broiler pan. Sprinkle with herbs of choice, salt and pepper and spritz with lemon juice. They cook in a matter of minutes under the broiler. Add a quick saute of zucchini or some such easy and quick veggie, and we haven't blown the diet just because I didn't feel like cooking. Oh, and a glass of white wine. :)

Ophelia added about 2 years ago

Oatmeal (the real kind, not quick cooking) and cheesy scrambled eggs. You need the slow cooking oats (er, 10 minute?) because then you have time to make the eggs.
Sometimes I make Oyakodon or Tanindon when I'm feeling less than inspired to cook. It always turns out well and I almost always have either chicken or beef and eggs in the fridge.

ellenl added about 2 years ago

Burger and potatoes in microwave for 6 mins., salad and/or frozen vegs.

ellenl added about 2 years ago

Hummus on toast. Leftover plain roasted vegetables. Hummus with red peppers and other raw vegs.

ellenl added about 2 years ago

And what chefjune does, but I bake the filets in the toaster oven.

Photo_squirrel
LE BEC FIN added about 2 years ago

If you can't stand up any more, peanut butter on toast. If you can stand up a few minutes more and really want to give yourself a present for all your hard work- Pasta Carbonara.

Cookie16 added about 2 years ago

Frozen gnocchi or risotto from Trader Joes! or Pacific Poblano Pepper & Corn Chowder, my go-to boxed soup.