Is butter specific to all bread mixes?

asked by @swacd over 4 years ago
Eb515e78-7387-4e72-b91d-acfa26b55b99.default-full

oh, I understand your question now. To my surprise, the mixes I examined (King Arthur sourdough and french herb bread) do call for 2T butter or oil. I think it will turn out okay without it, but I'm guessing it will be better with. Any reason you don't want to use it?

67da29df-0253-44dd-98a1-250b49e519a4.hilary_sp1

If the boxed mix specifically calls for butter, I would use butter. If it calls for melted butter, you should be able to substitute oil without issue. I think butter will yield the best flavor for most breads, though.

766e7ce3-8394-4788-8337-bbd8a8d3a07e.5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

Butter will usually make a bread richer and a bit heavier (not in a bad way). I have very good luck substituting oil in its place in bread all the time, but I'm careful to watch the amount of oil. I'll use a bit less oil than it calls for butter to start, sometimes adding more oil or another liquid if the dough seems too dry. Remember that it's a whole different ball game if you're cutting the butter into flour. Substituting oil only works if you're creaming or melting it in.