🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Is butter specific to all bread mixes?

asked by @swacd almost 4 years ago

oh, I understand your question now. To my surprise, the mixes I examined (King Arthur sourdough and french herb bread) do call for 2T butter or oil. I think it will turn out okay without it, but I'm guessing it will be better with. Any reason you don't want to use it?

Hilary_sp1

If the boxed mix specifically calls for butter, I would use butter. If it calls for melted butter, you should be able to substitute oil without issue. I think butter will yield the best flavor for most breads, though.

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

Butter will usually make a bread richer and a bit heavier (not in a bad way). I have very good luck substituting oil in its place in bread all the time, but I'm careful to watch the amount of oil. I'll use a bit less oil than it calls for butter to start, sometimes adding more oil or another liquid if the dough seems too dry. Remember that it's a whole different ball game if you're cutting the butter into flour. Substituting oil only works if you're creaming or melting it in.