🔎

• 7

• 26266

What are hearts of palm and what do they taste like? How are they prepared?

Dsc_0122.nef-1
Panfusine added about 2 years ago

Hard to describe what they taste like, They kind of look like white asparagus minus the tips. the texture is crisp without the 'crunch'. They're sold in cans with some salt added. the stalks are either sold in small bite sized pieces or as 5 inch stalks. (the inner layers almost seem to 'telescope out, ) I like to cut up & toss them in salads. Her's the wikipedia link for more details.
http://en.wikipedia.org...

They're close in texture to artichokes, and should be used in the same manner

Dsc_3321
PistachioDoughnut added about 2 years ago

Yeah, hearts of palm are quite like artichokes, I had them in Brazil. They go well in salads, dips or deep fried..

CheapBeets added about 2 years ago

Bowl-of-hearts-of-palm Love this recipe. It's more or less Sardi's Hearts of Palm recipe as Mad Men interpreted it.

Sardi’s Hearts of Palm Salad

Ingredients

1 can hearts of palm

6 thin slices pimento

4 Tablespoons vinaigrette dressing (see recipe below)

Vinaigrette Dressing

1 Tablespoon finely chopped onion

¼ cup white wine vinegar

½ dill pickle

1 teaspoon capers, finely chopped

1 Tablespoon finely chopped parsley

1 Tablespoon finely chopped pimento

1 teaspoon finely chopped hard-boiled egg white

1 teaspoon salt

¼ olive oil

Directions

Place the finely chopped onion in a small bowl and add the vinegar.

Chop the rest of the ingredients and add them to the small bowl. Sprinkle with salt and add the olive oil, Stir thoroughly. Keep in refrigerator. Always stir before using.

Slice the hearts of palm into ¼ inch round slices. Place in a serving bowl. Stir in two tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Taste and add more dressing if necessary.

I'll concur with the answers you've seen already. Readily available in supermarkets, most likely with the label stating "product of Brasil". Yes, the flavor is similar to jarred artichokes.

Face
allans added about 2 years ago

I agree with the recipe's. They all sound great! I love them in a salad, but I would say the flavor is more "Water Chestnut" and less artichoke.

Ire2013 added 12 months ago

The heart of palm (palmito) is the core of the stem of the palm from the species Bactris gasipaes also known as sabal palmetto tree. hearts of palm are a great food, source of vitamin A and B9, fiber, iron, phosphorus, and zinc, which have a very low calorie value but a great nutritional one that benefits your health. As a vegetable, it is also very versatile; it can be consumed directly from the can, in salads, cooked dishes, soups and many more. It has a soft, and crispy taste, similar to artichokes but way better! You can have all the information about it in this web site: www.iheartpalm.com