Is there a way to keep a cut avacado fresh for a few days?

I'm trying to plan a fast lunch/dinner for this week and i'd love some fresh avacado. I dont use an entire one only like 2 slices at most. Any way of cutting it and preserving it so it doesn't go mushy and brown?

asked by sdunleavy over 2 years ago
1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

Cover it as tightly as possible in plastic wrap (cling film). If its still in halves, put them back together and cover tightly in plastic wrap. No matter what people say, its the air that causing it to brown. Keep it away from the air and it'll stay fresher for longer. Also, hitting it with some acid, say lemon juice or white vinegar will also help to alleviate oxidization.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

I do what Mr_Vittles does. What would happen if you covered the cut pieces in water??

Water is known as a universal solvent. They would dissolve and/or become water logged.

Or you could do what Taco Bell does and dry and turn it into powder and reconstitute with water. But using other preserving methods is basically a Sisyphean labor because as soon as you open up that artichoke the flavor begins to degrade. And in many cases it has begun to degrade before you cut it open. Haas avocados are the most traveled, literally, internationally. When they are seasonally available I'll chose the Fuerte which is even more perishable. The best solution is instead of eating two slices eat the whole thing. It won't kill you.

Tightly wrapping the avocado in plastic (with a splash of lemon juice on the cut surface) and refrigerating works well if keeping the avocado for a day or so -- as others have written above. For longer storage, I wrap the avocado in plastic wrap, throw it in a ziploc bag, and freeze it. There's less browning in the freezer than fridge.

Dsc_0048b

I've found that plastic wrap and then a ziploc holds it longer in the fridge too. At least till next day without much browning.

Stringio

I use a food saver and half an avocado keeps several days.

I recently purchased some ascorbic acid powder to make Vitamin C Gummy Candies. It's nice to keep on hand, a tsp or so in a cup of water will keep fruit and avocado fresh when you dip those in the solution. Works great on apples cut apple slices and avocado. And recently, I dipped a half a cut potato in it wrapped in plastic wrap and it keep white a few days.
Why did have a half a cut potato? Because sometimes you just crave some potato chips and don't want or need a full portion.

110

All interesting answers, but my opinion is that old avocado is electable as president of the compost. Unless you're living on a desert island, buy something fresh for those you feed. Sorry if that's snarky, but it's how I feel about product.

Chris_in_oslo

I agree, except that I know that for a lot of places, avocados are too expensive to treat that way. First off, try to use it at one cutting. Second, use the preservation methods others have mentioned. But still, eat it up as quick as you can and still enjoy it.

110

Interesting. Buy ingredients you can't afford or suffer with the things you can? Greenstuff, you know as well as I do how to make something out of nothing. Magic is afoot, and it's not in preserving avocado. Let's go ahead, chef. Now I sound snarky again!

I'll join the snark posse here. Despite the fact that I live in a place where avocados grow on trees there is that category of fruits that just well, after you open them why bother? Have you ever seen avocado preserves or avocado jelly? Eating a two or three day old avocado is like eating road kill. Live large and eat the whole damn thing while they still taste good. It's good for you too.

110

Brings up the whole history of food. Young hunter person would bring the fresh kill into camp, and before refrigerators, you (the village) ate it all, now. I'll get all the fresh avocado out of my beard and ears and listen for your answers.

Scan0004

If I'm using part of an avocado, I cut it along the short axis instead of stem to stern. Using the techniques above, I have minimized the exposed surface. And use the rest soon!
After all, some of don't live in California, or even on the West coast or another place where Nature's bounty is so much easier to come by...

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet