Has anyone successfully preserved eggs using mineral oil?

I saw something online that mentioned that you can coat the shells in mineral oil to make them shelf stable for storage. Has anyone tried this?

asked by Nina Terrell about 4 years ago
6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

I am very afraid of mineral oil... I suppose if you don't mind "renting" your eggs... Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they would make their way very quickly through your system.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I think this is one of 'preppers' questions. The idea there isn't new, it's basically sealing the shell of the egg to keep oxygen out of the interior to prolong life of the egg at room temp.

I believe using sand was once used to store eggs, and a "Water glass" solution. Sodium silicate, which used to be available at drug stores for that very purpose. Coat with that and eggs would last for months at room temp as it sealed the pores in the egg shell. http://en.wikipedia.org...
I remember my Mom talking her Mom using it in WWII. One of the older Drug Stores here had that I experimented with it as a kid with eggs and making those "Magic Crystal" thingys listed in the wiki.