🔎

What can I substitute for sesame oil?

Dsc_0253_2

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

Voted the Best Answer!

It really depends on what you're making - it's such a powerful, unique flavor that often really makes a dish, I don't know that there is a good replacement. Again, depending on the dish, it may be ok to leave it out though.

Gator_cake

Pumpkin seed oil may make an adequate substitute, depending on what the dish is.

Scan0004
susan g added about 2 years ago

Pumpkin seed oil, to approximate the toasted sesame taste, should be unrefined for full flavor.

Bigpan
bigpan added about 2 years ago

Sesame oil is unique . I don't think sesame tastes like pumpkin. Maybe use peanut oil and a liberal sprinkle of sesame seed on the dish.

lloreen added about 2 years ago

Peanut oil, though it isn't the same. If you are making the sub because of a sesame allergy be really, really careful, though. Most nut oils are contaminated with trace sesame seeds and you are much safer using olive and canola. I accidentally caused someone to go into shock because of contaminated peanut oil :(

Photo-1
Meatballs&Milkshakes added about 2 years ago

If you have sesame seeds instead, you can toast them and use a neutral oil.