🔔
🔎

Harissa/Berbere in tacos/southwestern style food?

I'm recently in love with my harissa and berbere pepper blends, would like to use them on a marinade for seitan, tofu or tempeh and make sandwiches or tacos. I'd like to do the tacos, really, but what other "toppings" would combine well? Definitely will use caramelized onions, but for a salsa? Are tomatoes in or out? Cilantro? And then...what beer for the other hand?

asked by Raquelita over 2 years ago

Go with what you like or what you know and make notes for later usage. If I were you, that's what I would do. Unless you've got a restaurant critic coming for the meal

Scan0004

I'd do a simple marinated cucumber/salsa, maybe with coarsely grated carrots . The color would be beautiful, and the clean taste would punctuate the spicy. Tzatziki sauce would be delicious too -- yogurt taking it a few steps further. Yes to the cilantro. I had falafel in Israel with fried eggplant slices -- wonderful, but you need the crunchy too. Maybe you want to use pita? I like the containment.

One of the biggest hits in LA in recent years was the Kogi trucks' runaway success with things like Korean barbecue tacos with kimchi. The tortilla is just the platform.