What's the best grind for coffee made in a French Press Pot?

Would it differ for dark or expresso roast beans and lighter roast? Still seeking the perfect combination of variables! (Using a Pavoni grinder)

asked by susan g over 2 years ago
Chris_in_oslo

Just course enough that you can still push the plunger. That's my rule of thumb.

Face

Mr. Vittles- you are amazing! Excellent answer!

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

Thank you allans. I also use the Clever Coffee Dripper, the Beehouse, the Hario V60, the Aeropress, the aforementioned Espro Press, Bodum Chambord, Bodum Brazil, the Melitta Go-Joe, the Ibrik/Turkish coffee, and the Bialetti pot. So, if you have any questions on how to make a cuppa, ask away.

Scan0004

Yes, excellent answers. We'll be testing -- and trying Sumatran beans, as suggested on another recent question.

Chris_in_oslo

Can't wait to hear your results, susan g! I use more coffee than Mr. Vittles, more like 7 grams per 6 ounce "cup," (though I haven't weighed or measured recently), with a 4-minute brew, I've seen advice with even more, on the order of 10 grams per cup. I also prefer darker roasts than he does. And I even really don't mind a little grit! Using a French press is so easy--you'll quickly figure out what suits you best.

Scan0004

Your input was very successful! He is grinding the coffee a little more coarse than drip, watching the water temperature, and steeping it 3 - 5 minutes in the Bodum pot, very happily. Now, confession: In 1987 we opened a restaurant where all coffee service was in the Bodum press pot, with water drawn from our professional expresso machine, using the customer's choice of beans which we ground -- it was heavenly coffee. Since then, he's never been happy with the coffee he makes, til now, thanks to you!
Down side of glass press pots in a restaurant. As small as it was, we couldn't prevent breakage, and the cost of replacing the glass was expensive. It was a short lived business, but memorable.