Favorite pan for omelets

I love my Demeyere stainless skillet for everything from omelets to searing a steak. But my brother keeps telling me I really need a non-stick for omelets. I concede that I use more butter than most and still have occasional sticking problems. What do you like?

Dsc_0253_2
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

Stay strong! I hate non-stick, nothing wrong with a little extra butter :)

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

Carbon steel of the Blue variety cooks for me. After a bit of seasoning, similar to cast iron, they can be the ultimate pan for egg cookery.

I'm omelet impaired, so I go non-stick. My SO makes perfect omelets in a stainless steel pan we've had for 20 years. He's right on this IMHO, much better omelets, it's the butter and heat control.

Wholefoods_user_icon

If you don't want to bite the nonstick bullet, try a mix of canola oil and butter in your stainless pan. Making sure the heat is good and high when you pour in your eggs will help a lot too! A proper omelet should cook start to finish in about 60-90 seconds.

Once again I'm in the Mister bottles camp. Carbon steel with shallow sides. inexpensive too
Be brave with butter.

Chris_in_oslo

Okay! Thank you all. I do already have carbon steel as well as the stainless.

Damn! That was supposed to be Mister Vittles camp. Sometimes my smart phone is too damn 'effing smart for its own good. But yeah, carbon steel. Hit a restaurant supply store and stock up. I'm always amused watching Food Network when these chefs and their crew are using these pristine AllClad et. al pans. Of course they are sponsoring the show. One use and it gets distributed to the TV crew. Carbon steel pans are the work horse of restaurant kitchens. In serious French restauarants you might see some copper but that's rare these days.

313209_2493694741674_1231978067_33008415_1220700979_n

I'm with Sam, I use non-stick for omelets.

To clarify, I use non-stick. My partner uses the old stainless steel pan. His omelets are better than mine---which are quick and kinda last resort "I don't care" food. Okay, but kinda anemic in that they don't have the brown butter and depth of flavor. .
While he spends a bit of time pre-cooking the filling and getting pan get the right temp and tending it. (I'm asleep at this point thank you).