🔎

• 23

• 2768

• See other questions tagged:
    • Shows

Is the show 'chopped' stupid or is it just me?

DonnaBeach added about 2 years ago

Stupid but when bored sometimes amusing.

jmburns added about 2 years ago

I agree it is highly improbable to get something with those ingredients but I am always fascinated with the specialty items they come up with.

I am sure that I would be gone in round one.

I seriously dislike Ted Allen---he's not the "nimble chairman". I occasionally watch the show in the same way that Gomez Addams watched his model trains coming head on on the same track. I'm amused by that familiar refrain from the "chopped"; "the judges got it wrong."

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added about 2 years ago

I don't think it's stupid.

Mr Skot added about 2 years ago

Trout with white chocolate. Sometimes I watch it if my wife has it on when I get home. I guess it can be interesting, depending on the ingredients.

ATG117 added about 2 years ago

When compared with Worst Cooks in America, Cupcake Wars, and Dinners, Drive-ins, and Dives--which seems to be about all the FN features these days--it can sometimes seem like a gem. I'm baffled as to why they give the contestants ingredients that are processed foods, though there was a Top Chef challenge which required the chefs to use convenience store foods. I would like to see A&M do a show.

Merrill

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

foidivin added about 2 years ago

I watch it from time to time. It seems to be getting more ridiculous. Refried beans in the dessert challenge. Need I say more?!

SallyBroff added about 2 years ago

I don't understand why the food channel has somehow become the contest channel!

Baci1
HalfPint added about 2 years ago

@sallybroff, you and me both! they had such good shows and then for whatever reason, they dumbed down the programming. I haven't watched the Food Network in almost 5 years.

Waffle3
ChefOno added about 2 years ago

I think abandoning the entire channel to avoid the silliness is the proverbial baby and bath water scenario. You're missing the supremely talented Anne Burrell and shows like Alton Brown's Feasting on Asphalt to name just two. But maybe that's just me.

A lot of turds to pick through for the jewels.

Waffle3
ChefOno added about 2 years ago

Shame on you! That's no way to talk about Emeril Lagasse.

BurgeoningBaker added about 2 years ago

I think most of FN shows are pretty out there. Chopped definitely tries to challenge the chefs but in ways that aren't very realistic.

Worst Cooks in America definitely sets the bar low. Anne Burrel is beginning to remind me of The Bride of Chucky. Of course this started years ago when the new producers at Food Network discovered Racheal Ray. The first time I saw 30 Minute Meals I thought it was supposed to be a kids show; all the bright colors, eye rolling and hand jive. Meanwhile babbling whatever inanity popped into her head. EVOO.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added about 2 years ago

Pierino, I like Rachael Ray and LOVE Anne Burrel. It seems they are not your cup of tea but your constantly bashing. Certainly there must be some positive elements to these woman? I suppose it offends me with RR because she got me cooking in my 20's.

Among the things that drives many of us nuts about RR is her factual inaccuracies which she just throws out there off the top of her head, for example; "people ask me all the time what extra virgin means. That just means it's unfiltered". That's not even remotely close to being the correct answer. Then she started $40 a Day. The network got bombarded with complaints that she wasn't tipping. Finally she did start tipping but in rather bizarre amounts. What adult tips in pocket change like $3.12? Another of my faves was when the network sent her to Amsterdam for the $40 show. She went into a pub in Amsterdam and when she came out she giggled, "I didn't pay for a single drink in there." Hey sailor! I guess that's one way to meet your buget. Will giggle for drinks.

davidpdx added about 2 years ago

"Chopped" and Ted Allen both are in the running for James Beard Foundation awards this year. http://bit.ly/FPNQyG

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added about 2 years ago

Mario Batali lost his unlawful tipping distribution case at his restaurants recently. You seem to have extensive knowledge about RR. Negative energy, man.

Mario and Joe, two guys I've respected for a long time, DESERVED to lose that case. Tip skimming is a low class practice on the part of restuarant owners. And the judgement was rather severe, something like $5.25 millon. But Food Network has decided it's in the freak show business. Flay and Burrel are talented chefs but are now ringmasters with a circus of pinheads. All the shows with talented chefs like Ming Tsai, the Too Hot Tamales and even fan favorite Emeril were sent out to pasture. I could be wrong but I think the Cooking Channel is corporately owned by Food Network. There are fine chefs (like Ming) working there but its distribution is really small. One episode of Top Chef is worth a whole year of Food Network.

Waffle3
ChefOno added about 2 years ago

I agree with your complaints about RR, Pierino, but there is another side you seem to be missing. Shows like 30 Minute Meals speak to a different audience than you and me. I cringe every time I hear "yum-o" but Ray's perky approach has inspired many people who wouldn't otherwise be cooking to eat better and more healthful meals. Worst Cooks captures how an unbelievable number of people see themselves and demonstrates how they can elevate their abilities with a little effort. Maybe think of it as a silver lining to those of us who miss Mary Sue and Susan.

ChefOno I take your point but the truth is that a few years ago Food Network made the strategic decision to veer off in the direction of entertainment over substance. For example Iron Chef America still features top chefs and skilled challengers and the (not so "secret") ingredient is always interesting. But now 2/3rds of the judges are celebrities rather than food pros. Jeffery Steingarten used to be a regular, Michael Ruhlman would show up, and a good friend of mine made two appearances as a judge. These are people who understand food. Now you've got actresses and football players who sometimes don't want to even taste certain dishes. Alton Brown has to scold them with "you have to eat that, it's in the contract." And then it's reflected in the verdicts.

Waffle3
ChefOno added about 2 years ago

Again, I join you in your lament. Back when it first started, Food Network pretty much had a lock on the genre, PBS was their only competition. But after Bravo and others including ABC jumped into the fray, they've had to compete for viewers. They responded with the Cooking Channel and gave us Michael Symon's "Cook Like an Iron Chef". Of course they're also airing Nadia G's Bitchin' Kitchen. No doubt about it, the Iron Chefs would rather be judged by other chefs. But, as they say, that's show business.