I am currently on an elimination diet (http://t.co/fFXaoRyK) and always hungry. What are some good meals that I can try?

asked by @pellyg over 2 years ago
Photo(6)

The Kitchn recently posted about this! http://www.thekitchn.com...

Gator_cake

What exactly are you eliminating?

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

First thing with an elimination diet: always keep plenty of "safe" (and hopefully healthy) snacks available for any time during the day. This will help you adjust to the new diet. This really depends on what you're eliminating, too.

If you're cutting out gluten, keep in mind that the body takes much longer to process gluten-full foods than it does gluten-free foods. You'll feel hungry all the time simply because your body uses up rice (or millet or corn) much faster than it does wheat or barley. If you're used to eating a lot of bread, this effect is even more drastic.

Quinoa will help you feel full longer because it's high in protein. Try to increase your consumption of protein, vegetables, nuts (if you can), and seeds. Dried fruit is usually a very safe, healthy, and filling snack. I hope this helps!

P1291120

When I went through an elimination diet, one of the keys way planning to eat six times a day (that was actually a requirement of the particular diet I was on), primarily to keep the blood sugar up and keep me from feeling hungry. Also, the diet had no quantity restrictions, so -- for example -- if I was eating a banana, I wasn't calorie restricted to just one banana, I could have had a 100 and it would have been okay. The point was to eat regularly, and to always have balance -- 2/3 veggies/fruit to 1/3 (total) protein/grain -- unlimited quantity as long as it was in balance. I never felt hungry, was shocked at how the pounds came off, and learned quite a bit about my personal digestive system.

Good luck! It is worth it. :)

2360_royal_copenhagen_porcelain_dish_1

Which elimination diet were you using? I've not had success and your ratios appear to have merit.

Buddhacat

Focus on what you can eat rather than on what you cannot eat. It could be your body is craving processed foods, which are taboo for you. Make a list of everything you can eat, and go from there. Annahezel posted a great web-site and Syronai gives excellent suggestions. Also SeaJambon.

Another possibility regarding hunger is that you may not be getting good fats - ground flax seed, fish oil, avocados, hemp seeds are a few of the things that fall under good fats and end the hunger. As well as the nuts Syronai recommends.

Also, it could be you are not drinking enough water.

I agree with others, this is worth doing and love you are asking the questions.

I agree with the aspect of fats. Avocado is a wonderful source and lots can be done with it.
As time goes by it gets easier.

Jc_profilepic

We recently found out my daughter has mild allergies to eggs, soy, wheat, and tree nuts. So for a while she was avoiding those foods to see if it made a difference. She ate a lot of hummus on rice crackers in her packed lunches. Beef stew with potatoes. I made lasagna using rice pasta. I found frozen corn dogs in the kosher section of our supermarket that were wheat and egg free. I learned to read labels carefully and found allergen-free foods in unlikely places.
Which foods are you eliminating?
I was trying to cook things she liked but I also sought out frozen and other packaged foods to round out her meals. Whole Foods was a good place, but I actually found an independent natural foods market that had a lot of specialty items (like canned chicken noodle with wheat-free noodles and frozen wheat-free pizza pockets) that WF did not carry. You might find a source online for specialty items to stock up on for when you can't or don't feel like cooking.
Good luck!