🔎

• 7

• 1032

Best non-chicken chicken broth or stock

Need a vegetarian solution to a pureed vegetable soup that calls for chicken broth

Merrill

Voted the Best Answer!

I'd use vegetable broth, water, or a mixture of both.

Scan0004
susan g added about 2 years ago

I think if you compensate for the salt content of commercial chicken stock (taste first), up the herbs in the recipe to taste, and add a little extra fat (preferably butter), you'll have what might be missing.

Kristen W. added about 2 years ago

Two non-meat ingredients that can increase the savoriness of a vegetable broth are mushrooms and tomato paste. Browning the tomato paste makes it even better. When I've added these components to a vegetable broth the difference has been substantial (and delicious).

Gator_cake

I often find vegetable broths to be too sweet. I'm a huge fan of using this mushroom stock: http://www.epicurious.com...

Buddhacat
SKK added about 2 years ago

I keep this vegetable bouillon on hand at all times. Use it in everything. It has a nice spice to it, and is not sweet. It is from 101cookbooks via The River Cottage Preserves Cookbook http://www.101cookbooks...

And you can add what vegetables you like. For example, cilantro is not my thing so I use more parsely. When I don't have celeriac and shallots on hand, it is onions and celery.

3_eyes
robinorig added about 2 years ago

I don't like most commercial vegetable stock, too much green pepper. Rapunzel boullion is pretty good. I sometimes make my own, tailored to the flavors I want. I also love mushroom stock for anything needing a heartyness/meatiness or earthiness. Definitely want to enhance seasonings if you taste it and it's missing something.

jenmmcd added about 2 years ago

If you're looking to buy one, Pacific used to make an organic "No Chicken" broth that was great. I say "used to" because I haven't been able to find it the last few times I looked for it but I'd keep an eye out for it. I also really dislike commercial vegetable broth.