🔔
🔎

Can I do something with the empty pea shells after cooking the peas? If pea broth, what to do with the broth besides pea soup, since the peas were all used for another recipe? And if not broth, what else?

asked by linzarella about 4 years ago
Img__631-1_(1)

The idea of broth is a great idea although I am not sure it would be that flavorful. My pods go to the chickens. I am going to have to try the broth idea though.

Massimo's_deck_reflection_10_27_13

Some of the pods are so sweet; I use them in salads, making sure to take off the stringy part (if needed) and then I either sliver them or make 3 or 4 diagonal cuts - depends on the recipe I am using them with. The last ones were great slivered in an oil based potato salad.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Pea pods are a great addition to any light vegetable broth. I wouldn't put celery in that broth, or at least not much celery, as its strong flavor would overwhelm the pods. I really like lapadia's suggestion of cutting into slivers and adding for color and flavor into another vegetable salad, as you would tiny sugar snaps or snow peas. Or, you could toss them into a noodle salad with Asian flavors, which is what I often do with sugar snaps. They add such a nice spark of color!