Desperately seeking solution to mushy sticky rice in Jambalaya, Paella, Peas and Rice

I've tried everything that I've read on how to get the rice properly flavorful but distinct firm grains in dishes like Jambalaya, Paella, and Jamaican Peas and Rice but no matter what I try I get sticky mushy rice. I'm diligent about properly rinsing the rice, not using too much water and using the correct kind of rice for the right application all to no avail.

asked by Keiperr over 2 years ago

Try a converted rice, problem solved.

Dsc_0122.nef-1

try toasting the rice lightly before cooking it.

Wholefoods_user_icon

Don't rinse your rice. Be sure to cover the pot and don't peek, and definitely don't stir it. Just don't! I learned this one the hard way...make sure you r flame is low and the liquid is the correct amount and you will be ok. You can check rice that is cooking by itself in the pot at 20 minutes and then add a little liquid or cook a little longer as necessary. and most important of all, no peeking and no stirring.