What's the difference between icing and frosting?

Does the difference lie in ingredients and/or technique?

A9f88177-5a41-4b63-8669-9e72eb277c1a--waffle3

Icing is what happens to the road on a cold winter day. Frosting is what happens to your tomato plants on a cold spring day.

Frosting can also happen when you receive a smart aleck answer to an honest question so…

Culinarily speaking, there is no difference, just different words that describe the same thing.

766e7ce3-8394-4788-8337-bbd8a8d3a07e--5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

In my kitchen, icing is basically another word for glaze. It might include flavors (such as lemon juice or Grand Marnier), spices (such as nutmeg), or a small amount of butter, but it's the combination of powdered sugar and a liquid. The texture is smooth and the consistency is thin enough to drip down the sides of a cake.

Frosting is what I call any sweet substance that's thick enough to require spreading or smoothing or piping onto a cake or cookies. In my kitchen, that can mean anything from a mixture of butter, powdered sugar, and cream cheese, to pureed cashews and blackberries or whipped coconut cream (vegan versions of frosting).

I suppose I use the terms mainly to distinguish between consistency and technique, though ingredients always influence both of those. Such a fascinating question; I can't wait to hear how other people distinguish them!

3f6be2de-402c-4521-b45d-8c4190dabde5--more_tomatoes

I'm not sure, but in my experience the usage seems fairly interchangeable. Maybe it's regional? Like pop : soda, or hoagie : sub (btw, the correct terms are soda and sub. Just saying.)

I guess when I think of icing, I think more of a coating that hardens, like a black & white cookie, and frosting as something that remains soft and creamy, like buttercream, etc. Technically, that may not be correct - but without lifelines, that's my final answer.

23b88974-7a89-4ef5-a567-d442bb75da04--avatar

Here is a whole article on the subject. It supports Beyondcelery's response, and also factors glazes into the mix: http://www.cakespy.com...

From Food Lover's Companion:

"Icing: See Frosting"

"Glaze: A thin, glossy coating…"