What is your best leftover ham recipe?

asked by Eugenia,Allen over 2 years ago
Melissa_mitchell

My grandma and mom always made what we called ham and cheese toasties and that's what I do. Fair warning -- this is not a sophisticated meal. But it's a good example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts because these sandwiches are yummy. Cut the ham into chunks and throw it in the food processor with a little mayo, some good grainy mustard (I usually use Maille), some bread-and-butter pickles or relish (only a little -- it goes a long way), and some cheese, chunked up. I usually use what I'd use on a ham sandwich -- Swiss, gruyere, cheddar etc. Pulse until everything is pretty finely chopped and combined. Make into a sandwich on rolls of your choice (I've used everything from hamburger buns to leftover French bread). Wrap tightly in foil, bake in a 350 oven for 30-40 minutes, until the cheese is melty and gooey and the roll is toasted. They freeze really well too. You could also make deviled ham, a nice frittata, cut it up and add it to pasta with a little cream sauce and peas or Mac-and-cheese...this is making me wish we'd had ham instead of lamb!

Waffle3

I like that sandwich idea, thanks.

Straw and hay
Green noodles, white noodles 3 oz. each
Heavy great 1 cup
2 tablespoons butter
Ham cut in julienne strips
1/4 cup peas
Egg yolks 2
Cook pasta 5 minutes, drain. Combine other ingredients except cheese and yolks.
In pan. Heat to melt butter. Stir in noodles. Cook a few minutes. Stir in cheese and yolks. Cook until a bit thick. Serve.

That was cream. Not great.

ok, what about the cheese? sounds good.

We always have ham and cheese from the cheese tray leftover from family dinners and I usually turn those two ingredients into Ham and Scalloped potatoes. You can find my recipe here:
http://inpatskitchen.blogspot...

313209_2493694741674_1231978067_33008415_1220700979_n

We made omelets tonight with some leftover ham. Au gratin potatoes, potato ham soup, ham and lentil soup...

So far we have made breakfast quesadillas and cuban ham sandwiches. Will probably do ham and scalloped potato casserole and pea soup.

Any kind of bean soup, or split pea, will benefit from the addition of ham pieces, as will red beans and rice. Ham salad makes nice sandwiches, especially on biscuits. Mix minced ham with mayo, minced green onions, celery, some mustard, some pickle relish, some chopped green olives (and some minced jalapeno if you want) and maybe some minced radishes if you've got them. A hit of horseradish wouldn't hurt. Slivers of ham are wonderful in a quiche filling, especially married with asparagus. Use a nice, nutty, Swiss or Gruyere cheese for the cheese in the quiche. I make a great "ham and noodles" dish, which is a stew, similar to chicken and dumplings. Make a ham stock with the ham bone, add in chopped onion, celery and carrots, along with chunks of the leftover ham. Let that simmer for a while, then make a "noodle" dough out of flour, baking powder, salt, milk and vegetable oil. Knead that a couple of times until it comes together, and then roll out until it's about 1/8" thick. Cut into noodles and add to pot. Let that cook about 1/2 an hour, or until the noodles are tender. Add pepper to taste. Yummmmmm, that's on my agenda for later this week !

Soupspoon I can't choose one. Ham and Bean Soup, Ham and Onion Tart, or Quiche Lorraine with Ham instead of bacon. Yum! This is the link for the soup recipe and you can find the other two here as well. Enjoy!
http://frenchtwistedwoman...

Dsc_0048b

fried rice!

Soup of course. Or Pasta Carbonara in place of bacon. Or I just made a yummy pasta dish with a cheesy sauce (bechamel with goat cheese and parm), tortellini, peas, and basil. Or fry it up with some cubed roasted potatoes (white or sweet) and top with a fried egg.

I'm hungry.

"Leftover" ham is great for a lot of things. I like to throw slices in a frying pan to heat them up and give them a little crispiness on both sides. I'll throw it in between bread, toasted or not, and have a sandwich. You could also do this but put it in a tortilla with some cheese, salsa, and other toppings for a ham burrito. Just try and use a sweeter salsa to balance out the saltiness of the ham.