🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

What will happen if I use red wine instead of white in chicken recipe?

I'm making a slow-cooker whole chicken, and the recipe calls for 1/4 cup chicken broth and 1/4 cup dry white wine. I have on hand lamb broth and red wine. I'm not really well versed in the uses and types of wines, so will it kill the chicken if I use the red?

asked by sarah k. over 2 years ago
Waffle3

Proceed! (Think Coq au Vin -- Chicken in Red Wine)

Of course! Thanks, ChefOno! I do wish I'd waited and modified the spice/herb mix, but we'll see how it turns out.

p.s., thanks for putting me at ease. I use the red wine and lamb broth, slow-cooked the chicken for 5 hours with 2 chopped onions, 8 cloves garlic, salt, and a couple tablespoons of Penzey's Arizona Dreaming (which made me worry at first, since I'd seasoned it before realizing I had no white wine), and when the chicken was done, I shredded it for a sort of mock chicken caesar salad. What was left in the pot, I just pureed, and it made the MOST amazing gravy, it almost tasted like it had mushrooms in it, it was so savory.