036

it's a 4-1 liquid to oats ratio. Bring liquid to a boil, add oats, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Instructions should be on the can

How_to_make_a_custard_part_1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

I prefer to start my oats in cold water with a dash of sea or Kosher salt. If I want them very soft I cook them longer & stir often, if I want them with a bite, I do the opposite. One can even whisk them in the beginning a bit to make sure they don't clump. You may also soak them in cold water overnight so in the morning they take much less time to cook.

0605111238

I asked this a few weeks ago--and the best advice I got (thanks, Hotliners!) was in starting them overnight. I don't have a crock pot, but I got into a habit of simmering for a few minutes the night before, letting them sit on the stove, covered (burner off...) overnight. In the AM I would add as much more liquid as I wanted, flax meal (a must for my morning oatmeal), dried fruits, spices and heat up again on a low burner while I got ready for my day. That way it didn't take any more effort than my regular rolled oats, which I cook starting in the morning as I shower and get dressed, cooked over low heat with the rest of that fun stuff.

Short answer: lots of water and goodies, for a long time with low heat. Salt is your friend.

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet