🔔
🔎

Do I dare use yogurt that's 10 days past it's expiration date in an olive-oil cake?

I have an unopened container of Fage 2%.

asked by mwb over 2 years ago
Mwb_-_crater_lake
mwb

ITS expiration date: so much for auto-correct.

Gator_cake

I've eaten yogurt months after its expiration date. IMO if it's not moldy and has a normal consistency it's good to eat/use.

Same here! Yogurt lasts a looong time in the fridge.

I've also eaten yogurt past its expiration date. I thought I'd be the only one. That said, I think fage spoils more quickly than some other yogurts. When it does, it will be noticeable because the texture will change. If texture and smell are fine, go ahead.

Wrong. Sorry. Don't do it. Cake is only as good as the ingredients. Fresher better.

2010-09-15_14.22.07

Yogurt has a really long shelf life, especially an unopened container. Chef Ono et al are right, your cake should be fine if there is no off odor or mold.

Scan0004

"Fresher better"? Not for yogurt. That would apply to the milk that was used to make it, and when yogurt is made the milk is scalded first to incapacitate bacteria that would turn it 'off.' Some of think the adage, 'I'm not getting older; I'm getting better' isn't too far off in the case of yogurt. Oh, not exactly, but apply the considerations others have given and it'll be fine in cake or for breakfast.

Bigpan

Although Ono is correct about the best-before date logic, I am continually amazed at how many people will risk spending a few hours in the bathroom in order to save 79 cents.

Photo_squirrel

Funny, i seem to always see those that 'cook by the book'. Risk-aversity dominates.But hopefully, as chefs get older and more experienced, and read more of 52 ! they get more comfie with risk and bending the expiration date.

Waffle3

I absolutely agree with you in principal and actually you're considerably understating the possible consequences of making a bad decision. "When in doubt, throw it out!" should always be everyone's first thought when it comes to food safety.

With that in mind, I hesitate to continue since that point really stands on its own. It's just that in this particular case there are extenuating circumstances and I believe that with an understanding of the science involved, we can all make better decisions.

One point that has yet to be mentioned is that the pasteurization point will be reached during baking so, just like with eggs in the batter, the cake would be perfectly safe in any case.

Picture_25

If it doesn't smell too bad its most likely fine. if it has any mold on it then its another story.
if the seal isn't broken you can poor off the whey and it probably can be used in cooking.

The_cook

ChefUno is correct about the "best before" date. Think of it this way, this is the date before which the manufacturer can be reasonable sure no mischief will occur. Most of us have robust guts and can handle a little mischief. Is it safe? Perhaps not 100% and many will decide to follow the dictum in food service "When in Doubt Throw it Out." If you are serving the cake or the yogurt to someone who may be compromised, better be on the safe side. For the rest of us, isn't is lovely, we still have a choice.

Image

I too have found that Fage goes off a little sooner. it tends to look kind of Curdled, and tastes funny..(yes I've tasted it and I'm still here!) , but if that's the case ,I wouldn't use it..or take a bigger taste. 10 days doesn't seem too bad to me.. But my son would take a look in my fridge, scold me, and pitch it!

Image

Waffle3

Ariel:

The three brands currently in my refrigerator state "Best by" and "Enjoy by". If yours says "Sell by", that's fine too, but the important fact is the date is not an expiration date.

From the USDA:

Product dating is not generally required by Federal regulations. If a calendar date is shown, immediately adjacent to the date must be a phrase explaining the meaning of that date such as "sell-by" or "use before." Even if the date expires during home storage, a product should be safe, wholesome and of good quality if handled properly and kept at 40 °F or below.

Full text here:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov...

Lulusleep

Most people here can tell you that it is probably safe, but no one can say for sure. As I don't generally bake a cake that only I would eat, I am not about to take the chance that someone else may get sick from it.