🔔
🔎

Does anyone know how to fix a swiss meringue buttercream that I added Nutella to?

I'm in the middle of making frosting for a wedding cake that must be done by tomorrow at 4. Made a basic swiss meringue buttercream. A Chef I know said I could add Nutella at the end and it would be fine. I added Nutella and the mixture turned to liquid. I kept beating for over 15 minutes; the frosting still has not reached frosting consistency. Does anyone have any tips/ideas? I might have to start over. Can't add 10X Sugar because recipe is already sweet.

asked by caroline_kuhn over 2 years ago
3-bizcard

Have you tried refrigerating to cool it and then whipping it again? I did that once with melted chocolate not nutella and I thought it was lost turned really soupy. I put it in the fridge for about an hour, it firmed up nicely I whipped for a minute or so and it turned out. I don't know if it will work here but it's worth a try,

Thanks for the tip! As a last-ditch effort, I did throw it in the fridge and I'm not looking at it for a while :) If that doesn't work, I guess that's why Kroger's open 24/7!

I have found that meringue buttercreams are hard to salvage, but I think sdebrango is right. Refrigerating is the one thing that may work. Let us know if it works out.

Refrigeration may help. Also adding additional shortening, which should stabilize it to room temp.