🔎

eggs past expiration date

I know this has come up,, but I can't find it when I search. If I have eggs that are dated 4/28, I'm assuming it would be okay to use them between today and tomorrow for baking. If one of them is going to be raw (egg yolk mixed into a frosting), should I get something fresher or will I be okay?

Elaine Ruth added almost 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

The dates on the carton indicate the ultimate freshness, but I find the eggs can be safely used for several weeks more. A bad egg is easy to detect. It smells bad. So always crack it open int.

Me_in_munich_with_fish
petitbleu added almost 2 years ago

You can also do the float test. Very fresh eggs sink in water. Moderately fresh eggs will sink, but stand up vertically at the bottom of the bowl. Old eggs will float to the top. Of course, Elaine Ruth is right--a bad egg has an unmistakable odor. Expiration dates will tell you what date a product is best used by, but after that it's not necessarily bad.

ATG117 added almost 2 years ago

Thanks!

Photo_squirrel
LE BEC FIN added almost 2 years ago

French pastry chefs use months' old eggs alot. me too.

Scplogoblog
Slow Cooked Pittsburgh added almost 2 years ago

There is a huge difference between fresh and old eggs, but the difference isn't necessarily a good/bad kind of thing. As eggs age, because the shells are porous, the egg and it's components change. For example, if you are making deviled eggs, the best eggs to boil and peel are between 2-6 weeks old. If you want the most gorgeous thick whited poached egg, use a very fresh egg. Eggs last an incredibly long time and, as stated above, rotten is unmistakable!!! Just be aware that, depending on how finicky your recipe, the age of the egg could make a difference (and sometimes older is better!).

ATG117 added almost 2 years ago

Thanks, Slow Cooked Pittsburgh, for the super informative response. I'm going to use up the eggs I have. I'ts just a cake, nothing finicky, and I ate one scrambled tonight. It was more than fine.