🔔
🔎

eggs past expiration date

I know this has come up,, but I can't find it when I search. If I have eggs that are dated 4/28, I'm assuming it would be okay to use them between today and tomorrow for baking. If one of them is going to be raw (egg yolk mixed into a frosting), should I get something fresher or will I be okay?

asked by ATG117 over 2 years ago
Me_in_munich_with_fish

You can also do the float test. Very fresh eggs sink in water. Moderately fresh eggs will sink, but stand up vertically at the bottom of the bowl. Old eggs will float to the top. Of course, Elaine Ruth is right--a bad egg has an unmistakable odor. Expiration dates will tell you what date a product is best used by, but after that it's not necessarily bad.

Thanks!

Photo_squirrel

French pastry chefs use months' old eggs alot. me too.

Scplogoblog

There is a huge difference between fresh and old eggs, but the difference isn't necessarily a good/bad kind of thing. As eggs age, because the shells are porous, the egg and it's components change. For example, if you are making deviled eggs, the best eggs to boil and peel are between 2-6 weeks old. If you want the most gorgeous thick whited poached egg, use a very fresh egg. Eggs last an incredibly long time and, as stated above, rotten is unmistakable!!! Just be aware that, depending on how finicky your recipe, the age of the egg could make a difference (and sometimes older is better!).

Thanks, Slow Cooked Pittsburgh, for the super informative response. I'm going to use up the eggs I have. I'ts just a cake, nothing finicky, and I ate one scrambled tonight. It was more than fine.