🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Caramel for caramel apples

Hi, I've been working on different recipes for caramel to make caramel apples.. So I'd like to know if it is strictly necessary to add heavy cream or half and half or it is possible to substitute those for butter and milk, sweet condensed milk, etc. And what is the fat for? I mean, what is the fat supposed to do in this recipe?
I'd also like to know how am I supposed to maintain the caramel temperature around 235F, so I can dip all my apples. I have been having some trouble with that, the temperature goes down very fast and when I heat the caramel for third time it usually becomes too thick and I cant use that for the apples anymore.

asked by Otavio over 2 years ago
Kroka_kitchen

Try using a double boiler to keep your caramel at a consistent temp. As for the fat, I think it's presence determines whether you have caramel apples or candied apples, which have a hard coating rather than a soft, chewy coating.

I am not sure about the milk vs heavy cream but I would think it would have something to do with the liquid content. However with reheating the caramel you are over cooking it an creating a tougher consistency. Try adding a little hot water.
The cooking temperature will give the texture and can help create the flavor on how quickly or slowly you bring the mixture to the correct temperature.