🔎

• 6

• 6809

How long can you keep Hollandaise Sauce?

I made a double batch of Hollandaise Thursday, and now it's Sunday. Can I use the left-over tonight? How long does Hollandaise keep?

meulenbeld added almost 2 years ago

You could still use it, but when you heat it up, it will seperate. Next time you could mix your leftover hollandaise with some beaten egg white. It will last 3 to 4 days and you could use it cold.

Louisa added almost 2 years ago

Thanks. I do use the whole egg in my recipe, and I reheat in the microwave, and I've never had a problem with separation...I'm mostly worried about if it's safe to eat?

Waffle3
ChefOno added almost 2 years ago

Three days? Not an issue.

Scplogoblog
Slow Cooked Pittsburgh added almost 2 years ago

I was taught that hollandaise sauce was only safe to serve within 3 hours of making it, then it must be thrown out. I guess this was always the magic of a true hollandaise, a fleeting, brief challenge that was worth the effort every time.

Waffle3
ChefOno added almost 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

You bring up an excellent point, Slow Cooked. My answer above was incomplete at best, arguably incorrect.

Many years ago I was taught "the" way to make Hollandaise which it turns out, like many cooking "truths", not the best method. The classic method can create a hazardous situation and thus the extremely short life (today we'd say 2 hours max. then toss). Ditto for blender methods.

I've been bringing the yolks up to 160F for so long I forgot not everyone does things the safe way. In the U.S., there's a 1 in 20,000 chance that an egg is contaminated with pathogenic bacteria. Not a large risk but there's really no reason not to make a safe Hollandaise. By whisking the acid with the yolks before heating, they won't curdle before pasteurization is achieved. The finished sauce can be held at 160 for as long as necessary.

Louisa added almost 2 years ago

Good information, Chef Ono and Slow Cooked. I should have said that the recipe I used is a "mock hollandaise," an acceptable, durable and quick hollandaise. I do appreciate the more delectable classic sauce--Chef Ono, would you share your recipe?