🔎

• 6

• 7668

• See other questions tagged:
    • Tags

Recipe calls for potato flour. Any substitutes?

Gator_cake

Potato flakes in a 2:1 flake:flour ratio. You could grind them in your spice grinder to get a flour-like texture.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

What are you making? How much potato flour is called for in the recipe and what is its purpose? When I can't get an answer here on the Hotline that works for me, i always go to foodsubs.com for questions like this. Here's what they have to say: potato starch = potato flour = potato starch flour = katakuriko Notes: This gluten-free starch is used to thicken soups and gravies. Its main advantage over other starch thickeners is that it's a permitted ingredient for Passover, unlike cornstarch and other grain-based foods. Liquids thickened with potato starch should never be boiled. Supermarkets often stock it among the Kosher products. Substitutes: cornstarch (This is very similar, but not permitted for Passover.) OR arrowroot OR tapioca starch OR ground Passover matzo (This is also permitted for Passover.) http://www.foodsubs.com... ;o)

Gator_cake

I use foodsubs.com frequently, too. In this case it is incorrect. Potato flour is not the same as potato starch. Potato flour is made from entire dehydrated potatoes. Potato starch (aka potato starch flour) is just the starch. It's very confusing.

Waffle3
ChefOno added almost 2 years ago

That site can be useful sometimes but is so often incorrect I wouldn't rely on it for anything critical.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Add your answer here

Junechamp

Before we can intelligently answer your question, we'd need to know what it is you're making.