🔔
🔎

Problem using my sourdough starter

All, I have a sourdough starter that I made a while back and for the most part I have had excellent results making bread using it. However, every now and again, I have a weird result.
The dough seems to knead OK in the mixer, but after the fermentation stage it seems to lose all its texture. It takes a while to ferment, and I do sometimes retard it in the fridge because the timing is off, so I wait until the morning to shape and finally bake.
When the texture is off, it resembles shortcrust pastry (with bubbles!) not bread dough. It is almost as if the gluten hasn't formed fully.
Does anyone have any ideas why that might be the case?
Thanks in advance
Chris

asked by ChrisBird over 2 years ago
Food52

the above is correct. if you do let it sit too long without feeding, you can usually bring it back by feeding it as you normally would, but you have to do it a few times over a week until the yeast builds back up.

also, its best to make the bread one day after a feed. it will work up the three days after a feed like boulangere says, but the day after is ideal.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I've only recently started using my own wild-yeast levain, but I find that it makes a big difference too, if the starter is fully at room temperature before I start working with it. Also, as Benny noted, it needs to have been last "fed" well in advance. I've heard that six hours works, but I always feed the night before I plan to start my new loaves. Finally, are you letting the starter plus dough ingredients (just stirred to combine) rest for at least a half an hour before you knead? The autolyse makes a huge difference. I find that six minutes or so of kneading by hand after the autolyse is all it needs. Then I give it a good 3 to 4 hours to rise again. ;o)

All,
Thanks for your help. I may will not be feeding it often enough. I do autolyze so I don't think that's it. Since I don't have a good protein mesh, I bet the greedy little yeasts are gobbling up the petition!
I will feed more assiduously and report back..

That was protein, not petition. Autocorrect is a wonderful thing!

Add your answer here

Ok, I have been experimenting some - taking the suggestions here into account. Improvements are definitely occurring.
I am paying far closer to the feeding schedule.

First, I am using a whole lot less starter than I was. Cut down to 10% (baker's percentage).
Second reducing the water (down to around 55% - baker's percentage). That seems to help because the levain is also quite wet - nearly 100% bakers percentage, I think.
Third combing flour/water and autolyzing for 30 minutes before adding levain. Get some structure into the dough before adding the levain
Fourth salting after the levain addition has been mixed (no idea if that makes enough difference, but didn't want the salt on the yeasts in the levain)

So now I have a dough with a better structure, and more oven spring. It is still good and tangy after baking, but as you can imagine, the crumb is pretty tight.

The outside of the loaf is kind of mottled after baking - not a pretty even colour all the way across.

At least t his time I don't have to take a pick and shovel to eat it!

Food52

Make sure you are rotating the bread during the baking process. Also, I recommend the use of a baking stone. It will even out the heat in the oven for you. you can bake directly on it, or just put it on the lower shelf of your oven as soon as you turn it on for pre-heating.

Very good idea to add the salt later. To make a long story short, salt essentially rations water to yeast. Your internal structure will open up more if you add back some of the water you've taken out. Sourdough doughs are generally wetter than others. The additional water will let your wild yeasts reproduce more actively, therefore opening up the dough. Thank you for the update. It sounds like you're having a wonderful time.