🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Herb and Spice Resource

I am looking for a good cookbook that makes use of herbs and/or spices. I am not looking for the history of the herb or spice but rather a resource for how to use them in recipes, especially how to mix spices together for a unique flavor. Can anyone help?

asked by pianogirl over 2 years ago
Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

My two suggestions: The Flavour Bible or Culinary Artistry.

Both are excellent at discussing complementary flavours and blends. For example, you can look up "chicken" and it will have a list of herbs, spices, fruit, veg, etc that can start the process of creating a recipe. There are also sections on complementary side dishes, and traditional spices for different cuisines.

E.g. the entry in Culinary Artistry for Swiss Chard: chiles, garlic, lemon, tarragon, tomatoes, vinegar.

The entry for lavender: fruit, ice creams, lamb, rabbit, stew

The entry for German: caraway seeds, dill, juniper berries, mustard, pepper, poppy seeds, sorrel, thyme, vinegar.

In addition to that - the best tips on how to use spices in a recipe:
- use whole and grind as needed. Pre-ground spices tend to turn to saw dust (in flavour) quickly.
- lightly toast them before use, either as you're frying other ingredients or in a separate dry pan.
- less is more - you can always add into a dish but it's hard to take away.

Cimg0525

This is awesome, Sarah. Thank you!

Buddhacat

I love my Flavor Bible and don't know how I got along without it! Really great investment! Now I will have to check out Sarah's recommendation on Culinary Artistry.