🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Does anyone have a good recipe for whole grain sourdough bread?

I just got some starter from friends and I am looking for a good way to use it

asked by chez_mere over 2 years ago
Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

Hi, since no baker answered, I did a search on the site and found this: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

The first thing you should do is feed it so you'll have enough to build a loaf of bread, while also having enough left over to keep the starter going. Estimate about how much you have, then feed it with enough flour and water to double it. The ratio of flour to water should be 60% flour to 40% water. That's the ratio with which you'll feed it every time you use it. Stir it all up and let sit at room temp until very actively bubbling, then refrigerate. Plan to use it to build a bread within 48 hours. Also plan to feed your starter every 3 or 4 days whether you use it or not. There was a good thread about this a few days ago: http://www.food52.com/hotline... An excellent resource for sourdough baking is Peter Reinhart's book The Bread Baker's Apprentice.

Thanks for the help. I will start feeding it more often. My friend said every 2 weeks is okay, but obviously it is a little needier than that.

Me_in_munich_with_fish

I also love Tartine Bread. I have to admit I was intimidated by sourdough bread baking until I read this book. Now, however, I have a sourdough starter that's over a year old and going strong, and I bake a batch of bread once a week. It's transformative.