How do I make a pie crust with nuts? Also, what nuts could I use?

asked by Allie C almost 4 years ago
Elana-amsterdam-profile

I have a great recipe for gluten free pie crust made with almonds on my website: http://www.elanaspantry... :-)

Image

Melt a stick of butter, add about 1/3 cup of sugar, and about 2 cups of ground nuts of your choice (pecans, walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts), and whatever spices you want. Stir them all together and press the mixture into your pie plate. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes. Enjoy!

Do I melt the butter until clarified or just until it's liquid?

Img__631-1_(1)

check out Thomas Keller's lemon saboyon tart and you can sub any nuts you want. It is in both The French Laundry and Bouchon Cookbooks. It is a great recipe.

grind your nuts (I like almonds, pecans or walnuts) until they're pretty finely chopped (to a floury consistency). Do this by pulsing the nuts (toasted prefereably) with granulated sugar (2 tsp per cup of nuts). Sub ground nuts for flour (up to 1/4 of the flour at first) in your short crusts. Crust may brown faster due to higher fat content so keep an eye out.

I'll echo thirschfeld's suggestion on that keller recipe - it's fabulous. Try pistachios instead of pine nuts for a nice change.